Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cod

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
edited 5:13AM in EggHead Forum
Looked up on forum and nothing on cod.
Picked up at Costco and want to egg tonight.
Thoughs
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    Mickey,

Cod is pretty firm and will stand up to direct grilling, specially if it has skin.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    Thanks, no skin...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    They will still hold together if you just oil the grid and wait til they come off easily to flip. You can do cod any other way too but it doesn't really have a strong enough flavour to stand up to planking IMHO.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I like to blacken it in a cast iron pan. -RP
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I like to blacken it in a cast iron pan. -RP
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    i like it cooked with tomatoes, beli has a recipe called something like velacruizana or something but im not finding it, spicey but nice, made some great subs with it
    ·
  • I made this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/oven-baked-crabmeat-stuffed-sole-with-meuniere-sauce-recipe/index.html with fresh Alaskan cod fillets last Friday with some variations.(I had 2# of cod so I almost doubled some of the quantities and I baked it all in one roll tied with several pieces of butcher's twine) It was about 3 1/2 lbs. pre-cooked weight. It was very good. A nice lenten meal. :whistle:

ETA: Tomorrow night will be "Dwell in Hell" lobsters. :laugh:
    ·
  • I tried Cod using Paula's recipe for "Grouper Fromage". Did it under the broiler and it was fantastic!!
    ·
    Mark,

Was that sablefish or black cod? Pretty pricy stuff eh?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I honestly don't know exactly what kind of fish it was. My understanding of the definition of cod is that it could be any number of different white fishes. It wasn't really that pricey. Like $8.99/lb., but 2 lbs. of that, a $10.00 can of crabmeat and the other ingredients and side dishes and it ended up being kinda a pricey meal for us for a Friday night meal at home.
    ·
    cod is usually cod fish B) now scrod could be cod, pollock haddock
    ·
    fishlessman,

The sablefish/alaskan black cod or BC black cod is a little differrent it sells for near $20 bucks a pound around here. Worth every penny though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    just saw that :laugh: im sticking with catching my own cheap codfish
    ·
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    I would grill it as Little Steven said above and serve it with a tequilla cream sacue. The recipe is from Kenny Baker "Hatch" and it's fantastic.

Tequila Cream Sauce
    One cup tequila and 2-3 shallots, 10 -or so green peppercorns if you can find them. Simmer to reduce this by half. Add 2/3 cup heavy cream and reduce til mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. At this point you can strain the sauce if you like. Finish with a couple tbsp's butter, salt and white pepper to taste.
    ·
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Mickey, I would grill it as Little Steven said above and serve it with a tequilla cream sacue. The recipe is from Kenny Baker "Hatch" and it's fantastic.

Tequila Cream Sauce
    One cup tequila and 2-3 shallots, 10 -or so green peppercorns if you can find them. Simmer to reduce this by half. Add 2/3 cup heavy cream and reduce til mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. At this point you can strain the sauce if you like. Finish with a couple tbsp's of butter, then salt and white pepper to taste.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    Friend sent a note and I ended up putting it in a foil boat with canned crushed tomatoes, onions, peppers on at 400 indirect and WOW...
    My new best friend "MY DOCTOR" would have a fit with the very good looking idea that Little Steven sent (thanks for sending).

·
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    Fish Tacos WOW
    ·
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    I watch Rick Bayliss on PBS "Mexico one plate at a time" and I guess salt cod tacos are a big hit.
    ·