Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your most difficult cook?????

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K.
We all talk about our best cook, what is the cook that is difficult for you to do?????[p]For me, it's rib's and fresh corn on the cob.[p]Regards,
New Bob
(AKA Bordello)

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    This one looks pretty involved:[p]http://bertc.com/wholecamel.htm
    [ul][li]Stuffed Camel[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BluesnBBQ,
    A kilo of pistachio nuts? No way, leaves me out..... :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]I think a BGE XXXL will be needed for that dish!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    New Bob,
    Those are my 2 easiest. Indirect at 225 for the ribs. Wrap in foil after a couple hours, back indirect for another hour. I only wrap spare ribs never babybacks.
    Corn, get rid of husk ect and wrap in aluminum foil but 1/4 lb. butter and Raging River rub. Direct at 300 for about 20 minutes.
    Brisket, just can't seem to get that right. I still struggle with chicken, getting a crispy skin without over cooking.[p]CWM

• ...and I thought a Turduckin was complicated!

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    New Bob,
    The way I cook, every cook is my most difficult cook! :-)

• BluesnBBQ,
    I would try almost anything once…. But the butcher gave me the strangest look when I last asked him for two skunks. When I told him about the fried skunk recipe I wanted to tryout, he said he was fresh out of skunks, but suggested I substitute a couple of chickens for the skunks. He was very nice about it… unlike the first two butchers I went to who told me they don’t sell skunks and to just get the hell outta their meat market. After making my recipe substituting the chickens, I realized it tasted just like fried chicken. Oh, well. Now if I go back to that butcher and ask him for a camel he’ll probable be fresh out of those too and suggest substituting a cow for the camel. ~~~~~ So, you see the trouble I’m having.

• Car Wash Mike
    Hickory~Nut,
    After a hard day at work, we get good humor here on the forum.
    Thanks for making me laugh and making the rest of the day okay.
    I'm assuming you weren't serious though?[p]CWM

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    New Bob,[p]Dang brisket is going to kill me!
    Tried 3 of them plenty of fat cap just can't get them as moist as other people make!
    Everything else is pretty easy.

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    New Bob,[p]Kebobs. I've only had my egg a week however.[p]Last night I tried to do Kebobs. I used high temp and burned the outside, leaving the insides raw. The wooden skewers burned up and the vegetables got too burnt. You could only fit about 6 skewers on the grill, so I had to do them in 3 shifts. It was a bad eggsperience. Maybe next time, I'll put them on at 35O and let them sit awhile. But that would make it take even longer.[p]I was going to say everything is easy. The egg makes everything easy. A 21 hr. butt, with little to no effort during the cook.[p]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    joder,[p]With kabobs, I find that with some veggies, you need to pre-cook or parboil them before putting them on the skewers with the meats so that everything finishes up at the same time without overcooking the meats. Some of the veggies I do this with are peppers, onions, potatoes, squash, zucchini, and carrots. No need to precook tomatoes, pineapple, or mushrooms.[p]Tonia
    :~)
    [/b]
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    New Bob,
    Probably yesterday doing some chichen kabobs and beef kabobs with no dome and using a metal garbage can lid to keep flames from reaching the house!! The food actually came out great!! I also have been known to have messed up a few pizza's because I didn't heat the stone up first.....

• Car Wash Mike, I have never tried this method, but I may as I ponder this problem. I think I will poach the whole chicken in chicken broth and other flavors at about 170* until all sections are at about 165* or so. Then drain and dry as much as possible. Coat with olive oil (or maybe rub with shortening??) throw on the spices and egg at 400-450 (or even 500*?) JUST until the skin is the right browness. What do you think?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    QBabe:[p]Everything MUST be grilled . . . It is all in how thick you slice the meats . . . (smilie thingie)
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    New Bob:[p]My most difficult cook was brisket until I got the hang of it. It was tricky because of the low fat to lean ratio and my insistence on cooking brisket direct. I finally discovered the secret of cooking brisket in ceramic cookers: 200º dome, elevated grid, fat down.[p]As for your ribs, are you over cooking them? Cooking them at too high of a temperature? Try 200º dome and an elevated grid . . .[p]With your corn, brush the nekked cobs with olive oil and season with Lawry's, salt and fresh ground pepper or your favorite rub. Some folks like their corn charred while others like it heated up a bit. You may have to cut a couple of cobs up into several pieces and remove them at different times to find your preferred cooking time. Standard grilling time for vegetables is in the 325º to 350º dome range and rotate/turn as required.[p]Let us know how things turn out for you!
  • Car Wash Mike
    The Other Dave,
    If it works let me know. I have been direct cooking at 300 for about 20 minutes then indirect for about 2 hours. Some good and some not so good.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    ducks01.jpg
    <p />djm5x9,
    How about them ducks? I've got pics of 5 baby geese on my pond I need to send. They are a joy to watch.
    Good to see you posting again.[p]
    CWM

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    New Bob,
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts. I've tried all kinds of tricks and I just can't seem to get the results I'm looking for.[p]Bob

• djm5x9
    duck3.jpg
    <p />CWM:[p]Gee . . . Those birds look so cute making it difficult for me to have the heart to do my low and slow ducks! Glad to see you have chosen to replenish the flock. Hope all is well with "The Little One".[p]"Some of the richest folks I know live at the end of a dirt road . . ." -- djm5x9
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    WudEyeDoo,
    You need to find boneless skinless chicken breast that are made out of fatty red meat or pork shoulder. I'm sure it will be the best chicken you've ever had.

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    djm5x9,
    Great pic. I must try to make duck. How'd you cook them?

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    StumpBaby,[p]When did you change your name to Hickory~Nut? :)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    chicken%20breasts%20done.JPG
    <p />WudEyeDoo,[p]The only way I've really had success with these is to marinate them overnight and then add fat (a.k.a. cheese) at the end for additional flavor.[p]TRex[p]P.S. - Praise again on the meatloaf - still talking about it.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    New Bob,[p]I'd have to say that pizza was the trickiest cook for me, until I started using the pizza screens - they were really a good find - no burnt crust since.[p]Nowadays I'm venturing more and more into the low 'n slows - brisket is certainly a challenge. I've achieved a flavor that I like but still haven't been satisfied with the juiciness. Next experiment is fat-cap down ala Dr. BBQ. . .[p]TRex
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    New Bob,[p]The most difficult cook for me is when I gotta cook somethin for a long time..but ain't even for me..but it's for somebody else. It sure ain't easy smellin all that good smoke and meat..and knowin full well..you is gonna get none of it..not even one single nibble. Its times like these what makes me wish I could lick my own nostrils.[p]StumpBaby

• Awesome Pics. Haven't tried a duck yet.
  • djm5x9
    BluesnBBQ:[p]Hey . . . Don't insult the StumpBaby!
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Daddyo & TC:[p]Gentlemem . . . See if this helps. Let me know if you have questions via e-mail with DUCK in the subject line.
    [ul][li]Low & Slow Duck . . .[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    StumpBaby:[p]Is the little lady complaining? (smilie thingie)
    [/b]