Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
Capt. Rich
Capt. Rich Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying my first Spatchcocked Chicken. I'm using the recipe from the new BGE cook book. I'm sure it will be fine. I just made up the brine to soak the Chicken & I'll have pictures after the feast!!!
Looking for any suggested veggies to compliment the chicken. Capt. Rich

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Taters are always good.

Championship Potatoes

Ingredients
    1 package dry form crab boil (recommended: Zatarain's)
    3 pounds red potatoes
    1 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
    1 cup diced red onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1/4 pound butter, at room temperature
    1/4 pound finely shredded Cheddar
    1 bunch of green onions, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    Salt and pepper
    3/4 cup sour cream
    Directions
    Fill a 6-quart pot 2/3 full of water; add the crab boil and mix until blended. Cut the potatoes in half and slice into 3/8-inch thick pieces. (This can be done ahead of time; cover the potatoes with ice water until ready to cook.) Add the potatoes to the pot. Bring water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork-tender.

While the potatoes are cooking: in a medium saute pan on medium heat, cook bacon until crispy; remove and drain on a paper towel. Add red onion to bacon grease; cook until caramelized. Just before onions are done, add garlic and cook until lightly brown.

In a bowl, place butter, 1/2 the cheese, 1/2 the bacon bits, 1/2 the green onions, the cooked red onions and garlic, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and sour cream; mix together thoroughly.

Strain potatoes and add to bowl; let stand for a few minutes or until cheese starts to melt. Fold ingredients together, trying not to break up the potatoes excessively. Top with remaining cheese, bacon, and green onions.

Check seasonings and adjust to taste.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Did spatchcock last night and for sides, did grilled romaine. After the chicken was done, tossed in another lump of mesquite and opened up the vents and let the temp climb a bit. Cool thing about the grilled romaine is that it doesn't take long to cook at all. Love the mesquite flavor!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I like to do the vegetables from AZRP's The Chicken recipe:

The Chicken Recipe

I do the spatchcocked bird over the tray of veggies.
    The Naked Whiz