Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

East coast Coney Dog style buns at Kroger?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today at our local Kroger I ran across a new bun in the bread section. They are Kroger brand hot dog buns that instead of sliced on the side they are sliced on top. Seeing that we were having some Pearl's brand chili dogs tonight I would have tried them but they were 3 times the price of conventional h/d buns and worse than that all 6 packages were near expiration date and were already hard as rocks! Any Kroger customer here try them and have a comment? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Never saw em at our Kroger.I wish I did!We are a little South of Memphis Tn so that may be one reason.I would LOVE to try em!
  • RRP
    me too, but you could have driven a nail with these suckers! I have a feeling somebody hit the wrong re-order item number and they got shipped here. Even their placement on the shelf which was way out of normal eye level (unless you were 7 foot tall!) tells me these got here and were not meant to be!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Gotcha! I think I may have passed on those too! ;)
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    :) Something strange, but good,is happening at Kroger. I'm in Texas but am originally from the Boston area. In the last few months my Kroger got some Table Talk pies and Hood Eggnog. These are New England staples. I'll keep my eye out for the hot dog rolls.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    love the table tops....great pies to take hiking or camping....glad to hear you can get them...
  • hornhonk
    Chris, the Table Tops were only here a few weeks :(
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    RRP wrote:
    Today at our local Kroger I ran across a new bun in the bread section. They are Kroger brand hot dog buns that instead of sliced on the side they are sliced on top.

Any Kroger customer here try them and have a comment? Thanks!

Split top frank buns??!!!??!! At Kroger? I am headed to ours this afternoon to see if they have them and will report back. We haven't ever found them in Texas and prefer them over the side-split version.

They are required for proper lobstah rolls, just ask any good Mainegger ;)

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    did they have skins on the sides or cut bread sides like a split top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mkc
    Reporting back to say that they were not to be found at the Kroger on University in Denton, TX. Bummer!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • RRP
    They did not look like conventional h/d buns and had weird looking sides - almost like the buns had been torn apart one by one. The slice in the top appears to have been sliced with a sharp knife. Perhaps all this manual labor was why they were 3 times as expensive. Just the same I would have tried them but they were so stale already!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You're not talking about these are ya? These are all over the place around here.

new-england-style-hot-dog-buns-thumb7849892.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    YES - That's what I saw!
  • Carolina Q
    LOL! I don't even LIKE them! It's basically like folding a slice of regular white bread around a hot dog. I always grab the regular buns. I will even go to another store if the one I'm shopping in is sold out of the regular ones, even if they have these.

You'll be fine...really. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• we call those "split top" buns up here.

i think the coney island ones are rounded rolls.

the split tops toast up nice.
  • hornhonk
    I hope Mainegg reads this :P She is so wonderful :laugh: An amazing woman...very kind...generous :whistle:
  • hornhonk
    Aww...I forgot! She's in Florida :unsure: Doing her count down while dancing like Snoopy :woohoo:
  • fishlessman
    you are cooking them arent you ;) lightly butter the side then in a skillet or onto the grill till toasted, then add the dog or the lobstah.crunchy outer exterior, slightly steamed interior, when you butter and grill you can add rub to the exterior as well
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    haha. Actually, no I'm not. While I like toasted/grilled buns (whatever their shape), I never seem to do it! Does sound good though. I'll have to make myself buy some and give it a try. Thx for the kick in the pants. :)

Now you guys have got me wanting a dog! So I'll ask... Can't find Pearl's around here, only Mucke's, Deutschmacher and Kayem. Don't know whether any or all are regional, but if anyone has opinions on these, I'd love to hear 'em.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    i believe Deutschmacher was bought out and arent the same quality that they once were but havent tried them for a while, they used to be real good. kayem is an ok dog, mild flavor. hebrew nationals i buy when out of newengland but these are a little salty if not simmered before going on the grill.
    fukahwee maine

• mkc
    Oh sure, post a photo and really make me jealous of your supply.

I went so far as to buy the New England bun pan from King Arthur flour and have made them myself, but they just aren't the same. Not as light and fluffy. None of the Texas grocery stores seem to know what they are. But I will keep watching our Kroger(s).

Lightly buttered and toasted...mmmmm.... for hot dogs we like them with a little guacamole and melted Velveeta slices (tuck the cheese in the bun during toasting)

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Carolina Q
    Sorry to be such a tease, Michelle. :) I read somewhere that Trader Joe's and Wegman's carry split tops. If you have either, might be worth checking out.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Guess I'll just have to buy a couple of each and see for myself. Might see if I can find the pearls in the springfield or chicopee neighborhood. Not sold here, but I'm only 20 miles from Mass. (Ye$, I know they will $hip :) )

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hornhonk
    Michelle, I bought the same pan from King Arthur and some dough from the Head Baker at Central Market. They came out very dense and were not at all like what we want. Bummer, huh? :(
  • Carolina Q
    Here ya go, Steve and Michelle. Or anyone else who wants to bake their own split tops. Worth a shot?

http://www.jennifersanborn.com/2009/08/split-top-hotdog-buns/

Me? I'm headed to the grocery store to buy some Mucke's or Deutschmacher or something... and one of the 27 brands of split tops available. Now that I know you're supposed to grill the things (LOL-thanks fish!), I'm looking forward to some good dawgs tonight! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkc
    Yup, that's the pan....

I think I'll make it my next project to test some other recipes, including the one from that blog, in the pan. I've made the one KAF includes with it, and it's OK, but too dense (the flavor is good, though).

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    I like the fact that she's a Mainer (albeit displaced) and mentions the buns come out light...

I think I'll try scaling that recipe down from the 16 she recommended for the full batch to the 10 that would match the bun pan capacity and report back later this weekend....

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • hornhonk
    That's the one I have,too. Michelle, if you get yours to come out like the real ones, you could make a fortune selling some to me :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Hope it works out for you. I just searched for "recipe split top hot dog buns". There were, as always with Google, lots of choices. You're welcome. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I just got back from the grocery store with an 8-pack of Freihofer's split tops. :lol: Gotta go cook some dawgs!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkc
    Steve,

Either that or I'll be sure to bring some extra packages back when we go to Maine this year.

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN