Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dijon mustard on ribs?

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read several recipes that put dijon mustard on the ribs before they apply the rub. I would be afraid that the ribs would have a mustard taste. What do the rib experts think?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    No Taste, the mustard helps hold the rub and improves the bark

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I almost always use regular yellow mustard on ribs and pork butt. It helps hold the rub on. I have also read that the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat, although I do know if that is true. In any event, I have never tasted any mustard flavor on the meat, and it always comes out moist and tasty. I can think of no reason why dijon mustard would be any different. Give it a try!
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been using yellow mustard lately and it definitely helps hold the rub on the meat.

I was worried at first, like you, about tasting the mustard, but that's not the case.

I've never tried dijon mustard though.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I think I will go with the yellow mustard since a lot of people on here have used the yellow. The sauce that I'm going to try has 1 cup yellow mustard in it. Should I be worried about too much mustard?
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Yeah, a mustard slather is great for helping the rub adhere to the meat. Something else that I've found works well is spraying with a fine mist of apple juice or cider, both before & after applying the rub. Just enough to help that rub stay on and form your bark.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Personally I see no reason for it on ribs or butts, or anything but a hotdog for that matter.
    Has anyone had difficulty with rub adhering to the meat?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    cheap yellow frenches mustard not dijon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Sure, why not. Experimentation is always fun when cooking. While I have not tried applying mustard to ribs, I have used it on whole chickens and turkeys and have not found any unwanted change in taste.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As said above, the mustard mostly holds the rub on, and adds little flavor. I used to make a sort of paste with the mustard and rub, but have switched to using oil. I paint the meat with something mostly tasteless, like safflower or canola. It holds rub really well, and seems to keep the meat, especially ribs, even moister.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i like a lot of rub when cooking butts, rub til it dont stick anymore, layer mustard, another full layer of rub. i even will add more part way through the cook as the heat sometimes gets too mellow and i want to pick up the spice flavor.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I read some where a long time ago that it helped to start the tenderizing process.

Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mark0525,

You will get a mustard flavour in the sauce, not from the meat.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BADaQ
    BADaQ Posts: 159
    Options
    doesnt dijon have horseradish in it? That will not go away.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I use a mixture of both dijon and worstershire prior to adding my rub. It works great for me!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Now it makes me nervous to use the recipe of sauce that has mustard in it. Maybe I will keep looking for a sauce to make that doesn't have mustard in it. I will just use oil maybe to put on the ribs before I put the rub on.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    This is the sauce that I was going to try:

INGREDIENTS:
    Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 Cup, Heaping Packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef boullion strong
    6 cups H20
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16oz) tomato paste, or 3-6 ozs cans paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat.
    Hatch ground chile is my favorite.
    I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time.
    I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Mustard is a standard ingredient in a ton of BBQ sauces. I vote that you give it a try and see what you think.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Cory430 wrote:
    Mustard is a standard ingredient in a ton of BBQ sauces. I vote that you give it a try and see what you think.

It's funny that you posted that. I just decided what the hell it's only family....It's a free meal for them and how bad can it really be? So I am going to give it a shot but I will skip the mustard before the rub
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Don't fret, that particular sauce is very good and your family should love it.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Mark, you're right on your thoughts about mustard. Last week I spent 3 days with the rib king, Myron Mixon who is the 3 time World Champion. He placed 1st in ribs and he doesn't use mustard, just rub. His ribs were the best I've ever had.
    BTW- he uses spares not babybacks.

234.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Blah, blah, blah. LOL
    Your compliments go with which side of the fence your playing on. The "who more" question was never really in doubt.
    Did you still want to have a rib throwdown? :woohoo:

Mike
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It would be interesting to know what region of the country the mustard and non mustard folks are from. I was born in Texas, raised in GA, been cooking becue over 20 years and had never heard of using a mustard rub until a couple years ago. Sauce yes, rub no. I'm not saying my way is best, it's just what I was taught and am familiar with. My guess, and I could very well be mistaken, is that most FROM the south don't use mustard.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Ron, I honesty don't remember why, when, or how when I first tried it. A friend of mine uses EVOO, I told him about the mustard. He went from 9 slabs of EVOO to 9 of mustard. The only ribs anyone should care about are the ones they like.
    I know I have been told, I am the only one that uses mustard on ribs in contests. I competed once and faired very well. Is mine the best, it is for me and hopefully my customers.

Mike
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Save the dijon and just use plain old cheap yellow mustard, I think it acts like a binder, and helps hold the rub...I use it on ribs and chops all the time
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I think out of the 4 slabs I might do 1 with mustard before the rub and the rest without.

I bought the ribs today at Sams (I hope that's ok) and I really wanted to grab the baby back's but I didn't. The spare are huge compared to the baby's. I really can't wait until Saturday to try this. I'm allowing 6 hours total from th etime I put them on to the time I serve. Might be a little long but better safe than sorry
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    I tried CYM last week on babys for the first time and I'll keep doing it. I'd made babys in the past on a "traditional" smoker and foiled them after 2 hours. On the Egg, I used the cheapest yellow mustard wmart had. Tried 3 different rubs and the best "rub" wasn't really a rub at all-it was montreal steak seasoning. Mine cooked in 5 hours at around 250 or so. Much better than the foiled ones!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    The last rake of ribs that I cooked I didn't use mustard at all and I liked the texture and tast better this way
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=833146&catid=1

Ross
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Mark ... You going to trim the ribs up St Louis Style? (Essentially trim off the floppy top from the ribs at the knuckle to square the ribs up) You can cook the trimmed ends, they take less time, and make a nice snack while waiting. ;) Wish you the best!
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    very interessting discussion, love it !

seems like more prefer the mustard way.

Just 2 question about using mustard:

- what about rub penetrating in the meat, when there is a layer of muster between the meat and rub ?

- what about smoke flavor, when there is a mustard layer ? Effects that layer that the smoke can´t penetrate the meat ?

Just 2 questions to be aware, for the pro mustard protectionists.

Normally I also don´t use mustard, but perhaps I give it a try, when I see so much folks prefer it... :)
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    Mark ... You going to trim the ribs up St Louis Style? (Essentially trim off the floppy top from the ribs at the knuckle to square the ribs up) You can cook the trimmed ends, they take less time, and make a nice snack while waiting. ;) Wish you the best!
    Thank you explaining the St. Louis Style to me. I had no idea. Yes I will do it like you said. I'm up to 6 slabs now so I will do a couple with the mustard and see how many people like it.

Believe me this is way over my comfort level. No one likes when I cook on a grill but I will change this :P

Thanks to everyone that has helped me on this