Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hooked and haven't cooked yet

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only had my egg for less than a week now and I'm gearing up for my first big cook (at least for me)this weekend. I'm going to break it in tonight with some burgers. This week I'm planning on doing some ribs, haven't decided which type yet.

I'm amazed at how many toys there are out there for the egg. I've bought so far a V rack, a rack that hangs wings and legs, the starter cubes, and the plate setter.This can get very expensive but it's fun. I'm very nervous about doing ribs because there are so many ways of doing them. Plate setter up, plate setter down, drip pan on rack, drip pan on plate setter. head is spinning a little with this. I haven't even bought or made the rub yet :woohoo: I would love to take pictures and put them on here but I don't see how to do that either. Any tips would be great. I'm trying to read as much as possible

Comments

• GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Congrats on the new toy and good luck with your first cook. Don't be too overwhelmed with the different methods of cooking. Just experiment with all the different cooking methods and flavors and you'll find out what fits you. The best thing about it is that you'll most likely enjoy all the cooks, but it also gives you more experience using the BGE. It's a fun eggsperience.

As for posting photos, you'll need to upload the photos to website (a photo sharing website), and post the URL. Most people used to use Photobucket, but I believe there are problems with it (virus), so you may want to find an alternative. Basically all you do is upload your photo to the website, the website gives you a URL, and you post the URL within the IMG button barcode. Follow this guide to post a pic: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=182
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It is ok...take a deep breath and exhale slowly.

A few rules to remember:

Let the bad smoke clear before putting anything on the BGE...usually 20-30 minutes should do it.

Do not let the temp run way past your desired temp

Don't fiddle with the daisy wheel and draft door. Once the BGE gets near a temp let it do it's thing.

There is NO one perfect way to do anything on the BGE. Try different ways until you perfect what you like.

Be sure and enough lump so the fire doesn't go out. It is ok to have a lot of lump in the BGE.

and when in doubt...ask questions.

Enjoy your new cooking machine...it will not be long before you get another one.
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    I want to add, if you want to look up different ways to cook the ribs, either check the recipe section on this site, or search the forum for rib recipes. A lot of people have discussed how they've cooked ribs.

Enjoy, and definitely post pics.
  • Mark0525
    vidalia1 wrote:
    It is ok...take a deep breath and exhale slowly.

A few rules to remember:

Let the bad smoke clear before putting anything on the BGE...usually 20-30 minutes should do it.

Do not let the temp run way past your desired temp

Don't fiddle with the daisy wheel and draft door. Once the BGE gets near a temp let it do it's thing.

There is NO one perfect way to do anything on the BGE. Try different ways until you perfect what you like.

Be sure and enough lump so the fire doesn't go out. It is ok to have a lot of lump in the BGE.

and when in doubt...ask questions.

Enjoy your new cooking machine...it will not be long before you get another one.
    Thanks, my wife thinks I'm crazy for buying the egg. I have 2 quite large natural gas grills now and she said who in their right mind needs 3 grills. I told her I never said I was in my right mind!!! I will try and post the pics after my first cook
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=696662&catid=1

Here is a link showing some vent settings and temps. It was a big help to me bookmark that link for handy reference

Thanks to grandpas grub for originally posting it

ive had my LBGE for since around the 4th of july and just last weekend made the best ribs ive made yet. They were babybacks but i only bought them because they were on sale

I usually do spare ribs and have them cut St Louis style

went 250 for around 3 hrs wrapped in foil for another hour or so. then back on the rack for another hour actual cook time was about 5 1/2 hrs i used plate setter legs up with a drip pan with apple juice in it .

Rubbed them with yellow mustard and Bad Byrons butt rub ( i use this stuff on lots of stuff)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Those 2 gas grills will make good storage spaces for all your eggcessories :laugh:

Enjoy the egg!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You should get edible ribs even the first time. The Egg makes it really easy to get good ribs with minimal effort.

Get your heat stable. Don't mess too much with the vents. Just little taps, and wait 15 - 20 minutes. Chasing temps up and down for hours is no fun. If the temperature runs a little high or low, anywhere between 225 and 275, you are fine. It will just changes the total time a bit.

Peel the membrane of the bone side. That will make it a little easier to get tender ribs, and give another surface that rub will stick to and penetrate nicely.

One bit of classic advice is "If your lookin' it ain't cookin'." Avoid opening the dome. Maybe peak in at 3 hours. Or 4, and have a bit of mop handy in case they are looking a little dry.

They may take 5 hours, they may take 7. Depends on the weight of the ribs. Tough ribs are usually undercooked. Egged ribs rarely get dried out if the dome stays under 260, and the ribs are done indirect. So give them lots of time.

Once the meat has begun to draw back from the bone, you can test doneness by how flexible the rack becomes. Well cooked ribs will flop over almost in half under their own weight. I can usually begin to tug the bones right out of the meat on the best I've done.

Practice makes perfect, and even eating your mistakes isn't all that bad.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    lol thats what my gasser and charcoal ones are used for now. Wife keeps telling me to get rid of them . I tell her its my storage space haha
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Nothin to worry about. The Egg is very forgiving.
    Ribs: Platesetter legs up, drip pan, grid, ribs.
    The ps is really only used legs down for baking.

Good luck. Im sure you will do great.
  • Mark0525
    Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait to try it. If it all works out I can see me not using the gas grills very much. I think I will print this out and highlight the tips I need to try.
  • Mark0525
    One more thing....I've read where you need to spinkle on liquid every hour to keep them moist and then I heard after 3 hrs do it. Any thoughts?
  • I have five grills / smokers. Since I bought my BGE, I have not used the other four. At some point, I will clean them up and put them on Craigslist to see if I can get a few bucks to put toward the purchase of another BGE.
  • You can spritz every hour or so with apple juice or your own mix.

Or, you can just leave them alone. The egg will give you pretty moist food whether you spritz or not.

You can also put some apple juice in the drip pan at the start of your cook. This will do two things. First, it will add some moisture as the apple juice steams. Second, it will keep the fat drippings from burning and making grease smoke.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know how it goes. Good luck.
  • Mark0525
    I can't look at any more pictures it's 4:00 here and almost time for dinner!!!! THanks for the info boy they look good.