Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru VS Stoker

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've looked online at both units, but I'd like to hear from some of you users why you prefer the unit you purchased for your BGE.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Have you checked out the Product Reviews section of my website? I have some side by side comparisons and some reviews of most of the models out there.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I chose the Stoker over the Guru because I am able to connect the Stoker to the internet and view and control the Stoker from any computer or my phone. This is great when I do long cooks and will be away for hours or when I go to bed

I have the XL Egg and when I set my temp with the Stoker and it reaches temp, it will hold forever within 2 or 3 degrees. My longest cook was 27 hours for a 20 lb Pork Shoulder and I never raised the lid until the meat reached 195 degrees

I highly recommend the Stoker
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    Options
    Well, I just recently went through the same dilemma. While I love gadgets, with my XL setup the Stoker was going to cost around $100 more, and THEN I had to get a wireless bridge to connect to my wireless router. All that so that I could see that the temperature was still holding steady on my iPhone. So, I decided to get the guru. Much easier to set up (you don't have to name your plugs, etc,) and really and truly the egg is so good about holding temperatures the guru just lets you sleep well at night. You can set the pit temp and the food temp and walk away. It is really that simple. I understand the "cool" factor of the stoker, but the guru is all you need. Just my 2cents.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I don't think you could go wrong with either. Research the features and what you want.

Personally I have a Stoker and really like it. I also like the ability to monitor and adjust the cook from my mobile phone or via my home network. I also like the ability to control my two BGEs from one unit. There is a neat program called StokerLog that allows you to graph and predict progress of a cook. I have never regretted buying my Stoker. Granted I like gadgets and to play with them.

Stoker%20Remote%20Access.jpg
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    I recently got the stoker, and I love it. I haven't set it up to the internets, but i will eventually. It's also easy to set up right out of the box without using the internet.

Basically, if you want the option of adjusting the temperature control remotely, then the stoker is for you. If you don't care about that, get the Guru.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I bought the Guru CyberQ II. While it's great in terms of controlling temp, I was disappointed with the "cyber" aspect of it. Connectivity to PC/Internet is very much a wired process. From what I've read the Stoker gives you more options to work with regarding wireless monitoring. If wireless is important to you, then you should take that into consideration. If not, then for me it's a toss up.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm new to the egghead forum and I appreciate all of the feedback from the end users of these two products. I'm not interested in monitoring the temp remotely, so I'm leaning towards the BBQ Guru, but I want to review the options and comparisons on the Naked Wiz's site.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I use a DigiQ II (same as DX) it works like a champ. Although a remote alarm would be nice, I have been able to hear it from inside the house.

Internet connectivity is nice, but I don't see it as a show stopper. Either I'm there monitoring the pit or I'm away or asleep in the case of the later 2, I wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. I could see it now, I'm at the movies and my iPhone gives me an alert saying that the temp dropped. I'll either have to leave or not enjoy the movie cause my mind is preoccupied. Or I check the internet while I'm at work, what am I gonna do, leave work?

Bottom line, pick the one you want. If simplicity is important, get the Guru. If you want internet commectivity, get the Stoker. Keep in mind that the Stoker costs more, but it can control more than one pit.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have both the q2 and the stoker and love them both.

When I was trying to decide which one to get I read the side-by-side comparisons but those facts helped me understand the units but really didn't do a lot for making the decision.

Talking and reading others posts is what helped me.

The q2 is smaller. Temperature up or down on either pit or food is a simple button push. Changing features are a multi button push/sequence.

Only 1 pit and 1 food probe. I love the small footprint. My bedroom is too far away from the cooking area I can't hear the q2's alarms. I purchased a Maverick ET-73 for $45 and I use both most of the time. Remote monitoring is a very nice feature.

Stoker is a bigger unit and after the first set up it is easy to set for the second cook. The probes do not have to be named, but it sure is a nice feature.

The stoker can be hooked up to a network by using a ehternet cable. $12 for 50' of cable. I can control many eggs at one time or I can monitor 1 egg and use multiple food probes which is nice when I do multiple food cooks or multiple pieces of same food.

With the stoker I have also used two eggs, the stoker controlling the pit temperature in the large and monitoring 2 meats in the large at the same time it monitored the pit in the medium as well as monitored two pieces of meat in the medium. No other unit will do that. Several forum members have controlled and monitored 6 eggs and the food in those eggs with one stoker.

Hooking up wireless is pretty simple and can be done for under $30 to $40. This is where the stoker really comes to life. Single page monitoring and control within your own network or via the web. Any device that access the web can see the stoker, if you share the ip address and allow it to the web.

The new stokers have color changing plugs which indicate which probes have alarms and which are monitoring.

If I had to sell one or the other I would probably sell the one that would get the most money the quickest.

If I were buying for the first time and had the money I wouldn't hesitate to buy both again. I don't regret either purchase.

One last comment... The egg can very well control the long cooks without help. A $45 Maverick ET-73 will monitor both the pit and food and sound an alarm if the pit goes too high or too low and when the food hits your desired temperature.

GG
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but on the stoker you're able to check your cook online, as well as make any adjustments you need to with internet access (change the pit temperature, etc). So, if I'm away from home, I should be able to check my cook on my iphone, and if I'm late coming home and the cook is nearing completion, I can lower the dome temperature to prolong the cook. That was probably the biggest draw for me. I also like that you can add more probes and blowers to the existing stoker.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, I vote neither. The egg will hold temps all day long without help. At the moment, I'm cooking a 10+ lb butt on my large with Wicked Good lump. Got up this morning at 4:15, stirred the old lump, topped it off, used the wiggle rod, lit the fire, let it stabilize and finally put the butt on at about 5:30-ish. Been out to check it a few times this morning and it has not moved from 250. At all. Dead solid perfect, as always. The only reason I don't start these lo 'n slo's before I go to bed is that the food would be done at the wrong time.

I do have an ET-73 so I can supposedly see what the egg is doing. Funny thing though, the Maverick grid temp has been fluctuating (between 225 and 245) all morning, but when I go outside to check it out, the egg is always 250 dome.

Butt is at 156 now, after 6 hrs. Gonna be great!!! :) And I fully expect to have at least half a firebox full of lump left over for next time.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    I have the Stoker and love it. I like to be able to leave the house and monitor my egg without having to wait around.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    This is just so cool. My husband is the antithesis of computer and boy-toy geek. Can you come to our house and give him lessons?
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    There is also a guy from microsoft who developed a windows software program (free download) for the stoker that has a graph function as well as controlling all your settings. There is a link at Rock's if you dig around. It takes you to another site, but they have a section dedicated to remote temperature control units. Lots of good info for both units. They helped me set my stoker up for wireless.