Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help: Cooking time for small butts

Options
kmellecker
kmellecker Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter and family are arriving tomorrow from Fairbanks AK about 7:00pm and their first request is fresh off the grill pulled pork. I normally cook two 10# butts for 22-24 hrs at 225. I could only find 7+# butts this time so my question is; do smaller butts cook faster than larger cuts due to the mass or can I expect a 14 hour cook. I hope to pull the butts at about 6:00pm and let them rest an hour and start pulling as they come in the door. Any thoughts on approx cooking time would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Smaller butts will cook at the same rate as the bigger ones. You could easily jump your temp up to 250º for easier heat management.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Kirk,
    I'm not a PP expert but smaller Butts do seem to take longer per pound. I'm told it takes longer for the density of the tissues to break down. If I were you, I'd plan at least 2 hours per pound. Maybe even 2.5 hrs per. If they are done earlier, just cooler them longer.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    How much would the slightly higher temp change the cooking time?
  • kmellecker
    Options
    So plan on 17+ hrs and pull early if need be. Thanks for the input.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I did my 7 pounder for 13 1/2 hours and then cooler it for 2. It was perfect. :cheer:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I just did a 7.4 # last weekend and it took 11 hours but I did have my dome temp between 250-275. not quite used to the controls yet. Still learning. Now I have a ET-73 to yell at me if it goes too high or low.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    What temp were you cooking at?
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I was going to buy the ET-73 this weekend and got sidetracked. Probably would have saved me a lot of worry.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Kirk,

Good advice all thru this thread. I'd bet on 14 hrs if you keep your dome at 250 (be sure your thermometer is calibrated) plus anywhere from 1 hour rest to as many as 3 or 4 hrs... They can rest a long time foiled and toweled in a cooler and be great whenever you decide to pull them.

Bank of the Savannah? I grew up in Savannah, on Tybee and Wilmington Island. Whereabouts are you?
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I just calibrated the thermometer and I'm going for the 14 hrs at 250. I'll start checking temperature in the afternoon. I have a warming drawer that makes a great resting nest for a butt wrapped in foil so I should be in good shape if they come out early.

We're on the other end of the river up Augusta way. We enjoy visiting Savannah immensely and have gone fishing out of Tybee Island on a couple of occasions. I would imagine it was a great place to grow up.
  • Marty4UT
    Marty4UT Posts: 34
    Options
    The last butt I cooked was 7#. I put it on at 10pm and checked it at 7am and it was done. Too done actually. It come have come off at 5:30am or 6am.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Well here it is, 3:00 in the morning and I just started the fire. I'm hoping to have the butts on by 4:00 or so and after that it's up to the big Egg in the sky. Thanks much for your input. I'll start checking temperature at noon instead of later in the afternoon.