Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making pizza then egg broke

Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got egg uo to 600 put pizza on at 550 first one bottom a lil burned next one on went to check it lifted up the dome next the dome fell out of the cradle on to the ground and broke into about 6 pieces :( . i guess you gotta check the bolt on the ring to make sure it is tight so this does not happen. could it have been from the extreme heat. next will my local eg dealer be able to order me a new dome. i finished the pizza with alluminum foil tent. pizza was great but!!! any suggestions.

Comments

• Make nice with your dealer and see if he'll cut you a break on a replacement dome.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Reminder to self... make sure band bolts are tight!

Yes, your dealer should be able to get you a new dome. No warranty for that though.

$orry to hear about your trouble$. :(

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I think you will have to call the Mothership. Big Green Egg. They deal with the warranty of the EGG. Check out the dealer first.

Good luck.

Gary
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Was your BGE assembled by the dealer?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • yes assembled at the dealer
  • There is a humpty dumpty clause and it is not covered under the warranty :unsure:
  • loco_engr
    Then I'd say the dealer should be responsibile for the replacement at no cost to you. IMHO
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune with the dome. It made me realize I needed to check my bands. I have a question for anyone who has experience with this. The top band was pretty tight, but I could turn a little bit. the bottom, I turned a pretty good bit. My question is how and when do I know to stop tightening, should I tighten til I cant turn anymore or until it gets snug?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The nuts should have been tightened enough so the bolts bend - and then if you'll run another nut up behind that first one it won't come loose again. Just the same sorry about your mishap.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    I hate stories like this. My Egg was dealer assembled and delivered and the dome fell off while moving it to the back porch. Luckily it did not hit the ground and break. I tightened the bolts all around and many were loose. It seems the dealer would replace for free if the bolts were not tight enough, but if you have used it for a while and then it occured, probably not. Always check for tightness of the bolts. Expansion and contraction occur when the egg heats and cools, possibly loosening the bolts. Good policy to periodically check. Sorry for your loss. That must have really hurt to experience. :(
  • RRP
    until the bolt bends - seriously and then do the double nutting like I just suggested.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Oh, I LIKE that idea!! Depends how long he's had it, but yeah, good suggestion!! And if the dealer balks, call Mama and see what she will do.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I will get some nuts tomorrow! Thanks
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    OMG I will be checking my nuts
  • loco_engr
    Even when assembled by the dealer? Key here is how long has he had it I guess . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • egg was purchased end of december for christmas present
  • What about the bolts around the spring? Do they need to be tightened or anything?
  • sorry to hear that ... bolt has to be, not tight, but bent!! and should be checked a couple time a year ,,

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=737102&catid=1

your dealer will fix you up,,

i will help drink away your pain
    bill
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Who put it together? Sorry for your woes.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • was already asembled when purchased
  • I would consider it an accident, how about you? Because the dealer put it together and it has lasted since December I susecpt MY dealer would cut me a break on the cost of a replacement.

However accidents are not covered under the warranty.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Would loc-tite work instead of doubling the nuts?
  • RRP
    yes BENT, but for the last time tonight...

double nut the thing
    double nut the thing
    double nut the thing
    double nut the thing
    double nut the thing

:laugh:
  • RRP
    those type nuts typically are made with a nylon or other type plastic insert which MIGHT melt under a high heat condition. Instead just go buy a few cheaper all metal nuts and run them up against the nut that has already been tightened enough to bend the bolt. BTW the double nutting trick is an age old mechanic's trick, not something dreamed up...
  • well about 2 weeks later and just picked up my new dome and thermometer from my dealer at no charge.. all under warranty!! :)
    they said if assembled correctly this should have never happened. also egg was a lil over 2 months old if it was a few years or so it for sure would not be under warranty...be sure to always check your nuts!!