Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Salmon Night

WaterscapesWaterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking salmon tonight. Last time I left the skin on during the cook. Should I take it off?
·

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I always leave the skin on :)
    ·
  • Thanks I think i will leave it on.
    ·
  • I find that the skin helps keep the salmon from splitting, particularly if you get a thin fillet portion. It also allows me to cook over screaming high heat, and get a nice crisp sear on the non-skin surface, and then flip the salmon over so it's skin-side-down, and not have to worry so much about over-searing that side before the fillet cooks through.
    ·
  • dubahdubah Posts: 59
    Skin makes pretty good eats for me. Some people may say "yuck," but I like it. dogs do too.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I usually plank mine, indirect, skin on, and cook to 135-140, meat slides right off the skin. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
    ·
  • By now, I’m thinking you have cooked, eaten and may even be off to “never, never land”, but I’ve got to chime in here.
    If I can get salmon with skin on…That is how it goes on the Egg! Especially on the grid.
    On a plank, I can go either way…And in the kitchen, with a number of dishes I do, it’s mostly (skin off) filleted.
    Give us a report buddy, how did it turn out?
    ·