Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy pig dust is spicy?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a spatchcocked chicken for my sister in law tonight. i used DP Dust because she thinks it is not spicy. Well, I put a really good coating on it and cooked the heck out of it. I "tested" by trying a wing tip. HOT! Spicy hot! I thought at first I had grabbed the Cajun seasoning but I then noted that there was sugar carmalized on the skin. Is DP dust suppose to be spicey? My sister-in-law and my wife are going to have to develop their own spice. Where do I buy toranado sugar? or maybe they should stick to salt, garlic powder and brown sugar?

Comments

• texasAUtiger
    Options
    Dizzy Stuff is not *spicy* per se to me (which I associate with heat), but it is very peppery. I like hot peppers, hot sauce, etc. the hotter the better. But I gotta watch the DP stuff because if it goes on thick it is overly dominant with peppery flavor. so it's not just you!

Turbinado sugar is available in my grocery so look for it there. (That's what "Sugar in the Raw" is if you've seen that in a Starbucks.)
  • You didn't say which mixture you used. My wife, who hates too much spice, loves DP regular grind . . . in smaller amounts.

We use the no salt version often and there are some very complicated flavors in all of the DP product if you go easy and learn to taste them.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I think you should give it another try, use a lighter coating of rub and be sure to give it 20 minutes or so to 'melt' in before hitting the fire.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    Although I like the DP my wife cannot handle it all. Anything with paprika, cayenne etc. just tears her stomach up. Makes cooking a little more of a challenge on the larger meats since I have to spice them differently.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Most of the grocery stores in our area carry some type of natural sugar. Sometimes it's turbinado, sometimes it's demerara. There are a couple other options as well, but they're all very similar. If you can't find it in the regular grocery store, try an ethnic market or a Whole Foods. Just be careful of the brand called "Sugar in the Raw". I picked that up off the shelf, and was halfway to the register before I realized that what I had was a container full of individual packets like restaurants keep on the table for coffee.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    I think the point is how much you use. I typically use one coat and let it melt in before cooking and the wife likes it fine. Recently I put a coat on, slathered with mustard and let is sit two hours. Just before cooking I dusted on another coat. While I thought it was great with thick spicy bark, my wife thought it was too spicy and didn't care for it.
  • TampaQ
    TampaQ Posts: 40
    Options
    Sugar in the Raw comes both ways, individually packed and and bulk. Just make sure you get the one you want.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Wow, great information! So it was peppery! My brother-in-law called and said he loved it! He likes pepper. My sister in law doesn't. I think from now she gets salt and garlic only. I told my wife that they need their own rub.

Also, thanks for the education on the sugar. Will look for it. I did put the dust on heavy so that explains a lot!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Hi. In the title I put Dizzy Pig Dust, which is one of the flavors. Sorry for the confusion though. Thanks for responding! :)
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Good idea. I did put a lot on it. I don't care for the DP Dust because it is not spicy enough for me but if it can produce this kind of heat then I may use it more on my own chicken, just put it on heavy! It did taste good to me!

I used DP Raising the steaks last night on the burgers and coated mine with it. WOW! Probably the best hamburgers I have eaten. And it is all thanks to the BGE and DP RTS.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I feel your pain brother. My wife kind of throws salt on her burger, then a hint of garlic and maybe one sprinkle of DP RTS. And calls that spice. Then when she doesn't eat it all I get stuck with the plain burger! I usually just coat it in garlic, pepper and BBQ sauce and eat it.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Man, that sounds good! I hadn't thought of trying mustard on chicken just like pork butt and I will now!