Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High heat gasket

oldguysrule
oldguysrule Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to replace my gasket with the high heat gasket. BGE suggests 3M 77. Is this the best stuff or is there something better?

Comments

• I went to Home Depot to buy the same stuff. The guy in the paint dept. seemed reluctant to recommend it due to the warnings on the can of being very flammable. I suppose this may not matter since you'll be putting it on cold. I need to replace my gasket too so I'll be interested to hear what product you wind up using.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Automotive silicone adhesive/gasket maker.

Works forever.

Permatex is one name brand. ABout $6 for a tube.
  • F308gt4
    F308gt4 Posts: 35
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not use the automotive gasket material alone?

Spread some on the egg bottom, some on the lid, place a piece of cellophane between and close it up. When it dries, open the lid, remove the cellophane, and you should have a "perfect" gasket.

Any reason why this would not work?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It's been done. Not by me, so I cannot attest to the ease of doing so or the durability of such a gasket.

In theory I would think it would work great.
  • Thanks, I just so happen to own an auto parts store and have plenty Permatex.
  • willrev
    willrev Posts: 80
    I am getting ready to do the same on my large egg. I talked with the local dealer who said using a wood stove gasket will work, but it has cancer causing silicone compounds not safe around food. It was about $15. I went ahead and ordered the BGE High temp gasket. I did notice on the internet on the BGE supplier that does music equipment and grills up in PA that he shows a video of how to do it with 3M. I think the 3M material is safe around food whereas the other silicone materials are not food safe. That is the difference. If you don't mind the risk of outgassing bad compounds, just use the stuff from the auto parts. I'm going to use the 3M Super 77. I have a stock left over from putting carpet into my boat cabin.
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    The 3M works great, and it is no longer flammable after it dries.

The old gaskets were an issue, but the new ones with 3M work perfectly. In my opinion, no need to go with any product that even has a remote chance of being non-food safe.
  • That was my thoughts too. I sell the Permatex silcone, but I'm not sure how food safe this stuff is.