Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cooking on the BGE

Options
SteelersGirl
SteelersGirl Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all! I'm looking for an easy, no fail recipe for my FIRST EVER BGE cooking experience! I have a Large BGE and will be cooking for 6 people. I have the Plate Setter and if necessary, will buy other accessories if needed. Let me know what you pros think!

Thanks all!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    what are you cooking?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Great question. I will be waiting for this one as well. I first posted this weekend and was very nervous about being on here but this is great :laugh: I can see how this can be addicting. I don't want to run out and buy everything but it will be nice to have what you will use the most.
  • SteelersGirl
    Options
    I'm up for anything, as long as it is relatively easy recipe!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    One of the easiest cooks is a spatchcocked chicken. Cut the backbone out of the chicken and lay it flat on the grid. For 6 people you could do 2 birds or 1 chicken and then chicken pieces.

Cook indirect at 400 degrees using HDAF on your platesetter. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour until the breast is 160 and thighs are 180-190.

Make sure you let the bad smoke clear before you put the chickens on.
  • SteelersGirl
    Options
    Thank you! This sounds pretty easy! I assume I should put a dry rub on the chicken?
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Yes dry rub works fine or olive oil & salt & pepper...or lemon pepper or bbq sauce...pretty much whatever comes to mind...
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am sorry maria i misread your post!!!

if i were you i would cook whatever you normally cook.. burgers chicken whatever floats your boat.. then after you have tried something you know you like then you can venture out and try some new things. use this first time to get used to the egg. there is a small learning curve but with a little practice you will be an eggspert in no time...

welcome to the forum life gets better now that you have your first egg.. take some pictures of your first cook ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    he forgot to attach the link that will walk you through the whole process

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    Options
    Thanks for having my back... :P
  • SmokinSoCal
    SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
    Options
    I have to DISAGREE with the above post. Spatchcock should be cooked DIRECT and Raised.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I think pork loin is an easy cook. Indirect, legs up, 300°-350° until internal temperature is about 150°.

Of course, put on some kind of rub for flavor.

It'll take 45 minutes to 1 hour.

On your first cooks, you don't want to have a real high temperature, so your gasket can properly seal.

Good luck. We like pictures. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BENTE
    Options
    well i decide to omit mention of your HDAF :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I always recommend the Spatchcocked Chicken as a first or second cook. It's very easy and will turn out great.

I do mine direct, raised grid, but have also done them direct with just the standard grid height. I do the meat side down first for a few minutes then flip over for the ramainder of the cook.

You can pretty much tell when it's done but if you are in doubt, go a few minutes longer.

As for seasonings, use your favorite or experiment. Some like to lift the skin and rub some seasoning under the skin. Some like to oil the outside then apply their rub.

A good hot Egg (350 to 400°) will get you there. No need for a drip pan when cooking direct.

Use the link provided below and you will be fine.

Keep us posted on how it turned out.

And welcome aboard.

Spring "Half Cocked And Somewhat Spatched" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I'm with Ross on this one - was just about to comment that chicken thighs are a great cook. Real easy and just about impossible to mess up.

I marinade mine first w/cumin, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder sprinkle of ancho chili powder, fresh squeeze lime juice, shot of tequila. I make wings the same way.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I clicked on the link and noticed one of the teams playing on your TV was the ones who LOST the Superbowl. Thanks for the memories. WHO DAT! :woohoo:
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I don't know if this would be a good first cook, but you can do it without much BGE time under your belt.

Rack of pork is a delicious and elegant dish that is easy to cook. Just put your rub on the meat, throw in some smoke wood, and cook indirect at about 275 until the pork reaches about 160 internal. Take it off and slice up some of the best pork chops your guests have ever eaten.

You can find some posts on rack of pork if you do a search of the forum.

Spatchcock chicken is also a great way to go. You can do it direct or indirect. Direct will give you a crispier skin, but you run the risk of burning if the bird is too close to the fire. Indirect is super easy, but may not give you a crispy skin. It is a trade off, but bot ways make for a really good juicy chicken.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Well that is the beauty of the BGE, either method will work fine. This is no right or wrong way. ;)
  • SteelersGirl
    Options
    Wow, thanks Ross! The pictures are SO helpful!