Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Thermometer ?

Options
Cooker
Cooker Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a meat thermometer that works well with the BGE,any suggestions.
Carolina Beach,NC.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Digital Instant Read units are recommended. Many of us have Thermopens which are one of the best if not the best. There are less expensive options that some people swear by.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    you can't go wrong with an instant read Thermopen, probably the best thermometer you can buy
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Get the splash proof thermapen. Hands down the best. It's pricey but the last you will buy. I have a drawer full of the others that I give to people who express an interest in the egg.

Cest bon!
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Cooker - Google 'Thermoworks' and check out the large variety of all kinds of temperature reading devises they have to offer. The most recommended on this forum is the 'Thermapen' which has a three second response time - 96 bucks.

I have used the Thermapen for a while, but I eventually got an MTC with their 113-151 probe (much thinner than the Thermapen probe) and has a two second response time - 73 bucks total.

I rarely ever use the Thermapen anymore, but it is NOT for sale.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thermopen for instant read thermometers. Maverick for leave in probe type. All the others have died on me.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • LostinQn
    LostinQn Posts: 21
    Options
    I bought the water resistant thermapen, and i love it. Also picked up thermapens version of the leave in probe type.

i have had 2 mavericks die on me, on remote one non remote, so i am not really sure it matters what brand you get.

Another option, is getting a good quality dial, which you can leave in as well.