Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock- Lots of smoke

Options
F308gt4
F308gt4 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time doing spatchcocked chicken. I am cooking direct, on a raised grill (a little above the felt line), about 350ish.

I am getting lots of white smoke, presumably from fat dropping onto the hot coals. Is this normal when cooking direct?

I'm afraid it will give a lousy taste to the chicken. Should I have done it indirect?

Thanks!

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Spatchcocked direct on a raised grid seems to be the preferred on the board. Was the smoke burning clear before you put the chicken on? The fire needs to burn for 20 to 30 minutes to settle down before you put meat on the grill.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • F308gt4
    Options
    Yes, smoke was burning clear before I put the bird on. The smoke appears to be from the drippings onto the hot coals.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    That's how I do them, and I love them. See how it turns out and then decide. You can always do them indirect if you don't like what the drippings on the fire does to the taste.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I bet it turns out good. I'm partial to throwing a couple of chunks of pecan in with the lump for chicken as well.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I did two spatchcocked on the medium direct at about 350-375. Like you said, there was a good bit of white smoke, but the birds were tender, moist, and very delicious.

Try them indirect and see which you prefer. I did mine breast down for about 20 minutes, and breast up for the remainder (another 50 minutes or so), until the breast were about 161.
  • F308gt4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. The chicken turned out great!! Very very moist. A little smokey taste, but not overpowering or bitter.

Can't wait to try it again.
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    I've learned on the forum to do them direct and they are terrific.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I've been doing them just as you described, always get good results. Eggs are great.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO