Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, what kinda capacity for the new XL???

Options
Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it's been awhile (6-9 months) since I've lurked through this forum. Its good to see that its alive and well! Been happily smokin' and grillin' on my Large for about four years. The only problem I've had is lack of capacity. On occasion, I cook for large numbers of people. I've been able to cram/stack 20 half-racks of baby backs in the egg for a Georgia Tech - UGA football tailgating event (may have converted at least five Weber users in that one event), and I've stacked four 8 pound butts on each other on several occasions. That is about as much meat as I've been able to get in the large BGE.[p]Yeah, I know. I could just get another large or medium or something. There's something psychological, I guess, that sends my wife through the roof at the thought of having two grills/smokers.[p]And I as I read through the messages, imagine my surprise that BGE is coming out with the XL! Awesome! I have a waiting list a mile long of people that would buy a used Large, and I could apply the proceeds to the XL purchase. So, I would still have only one Egg, but it could handle so much more![p]So, my question is how does the above-grate volume of the XL compare with the large? I believe that I've read that the XL can handle more volume than the Oval. Is this true? How many ribs or butts could I possibly do at one time? [p]Now, don't anybody tell my wife that I'm even thinkin' about looking at the XL. I'd be in the dog-house for sure.[p]Thanks again for all the info.[p]Thrill

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Thrill,
    Well if you do the math, the main grid of the XL will be about 450 square inches. The oval is 379. However, then you get into raised grids, etc. The oval says 680 with their raised grid. If there is a raised grid or grid extender for the XL, then it's capacity should be proportionally greater.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thrill,
    Swap the L for the XL, then see if the wife notices the difference. If she brings it up, ask her is she has lost weight or something about how her hair reflects the light all sparkly. gotta save this trick for big events..can't waste it. Power diminishes if used too often.

• Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    Options
    jiarby,[p]LOL! I like the way you think! You're right. I haven't used that line on the wife since she can home from work one night two years ago and saw a new Jet table saw sitting in the garage.[p]I think I've got it figured out. I need to build a new Egg table anyway (see post below on cleaning your Egg). I figure that I just make the new table proportionally deeper/wider/bigger so that the XL looks like a Large Egg in a regular table.[p]Problem solved. Thanks![p]Does anyone know if they have XL prototypes on display at the BGE HeadNest in Atlanta? I go there about once every three months to load up on supplies.[p]Thx,[p]Thrill
  • germanshorthair
    Options
    Thrill,[p]You've certainly come to the right place to rationalize buying an XL BGE. Lot's of support.
    I'm thinkin about this new grill myself. Sometimes the large gets cramped-as you said.
    The way I'm looking at it is how many times do you need the extra space. Use this to convince the warden you need it.[p]Good luck.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    20racks.jpg
    <p />Thrill,
    Of course no discussion of capacity would be complete without this classic photo![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    germanshorthair,[p]Good thinking. All you guys with the wife issue need to start working on it right now. Spreeeaaad the food out so it always looks like your grill is very full. Remember OJ with that glove? When the XL is available she'll be buying it for you because you need it so bad.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Guess I should count myself as lucky. My wife said to me about 2 or 3 years ago "we need a second lager BGE, so you can crank out pizzas for a party". I was stunned. Two days ago I told her about the XL and she wasn't fazed a bit, just looked forward to the completion of an as-of-yet-just-in-the-planning-stages-outdoor-kitchen.[p]The only thing that tops this is her urgency to replace the TV's in the house with flat screen plasmas! Seriously, she wants to go this weekend and get a 15" for the kitchen, and a 26-30 for the bedroom. She's willing to wait a few months for the large one in the den! Willing to wait???? I hadn't even suggested one in the den yet! God I love that woman!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    stuart,
    So, when is she going to take you over to the Ferrari dealer? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That is definitely one of my favorite pictures. I'm cooking 3 racks of pork spares tomorrow, some swordfish, a mess of wings and chicken thighs, and some burgers and dogs at my parents' house for a family BBQ. Before anyone tastes any of my food, I will of course instruct them to judge on appearance, tenderness, and taste. I may even instruct them on a proper starting point.[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Unknown
    Options
    Thrill,
    Even better! Build a new table, pop in the XL then tell her she must be smoking crack if she thinks it is bigger! [p]You can also get a BBQ guru or some other gadget... let he get postal on the small potatoes, and she'll miss completely the new big egg! [p]Save the "big guns" for when you REALLY screw up!

• Unknown
    Options
    stuart,
    Does your wife have a sister?

• gojacketz
    gojacketz Posts: 4
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Just think of the raw wing cooking capacity of the XL egg. [p]Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............[p]Gojacketz