Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SpringChicken/Help with ABT's!

Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a question on your ABT's. Do you cut off just the end of the jalapenos? Also, do you stuff full with cream cheese first and then slide the sausage in? (Hope StumpBaby doesn't see this post or I'm in for it! LOL). This will be my first try. Thanks for any advice.[p]Tanya

Comments

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Tanya,[p]The way I have done them is:[p]- Slice the peppers length-wise
    - remove seeds
    - fill w/ BBQ pork (I have also used my home made hot Italian sausage)
    - cover w/ cream cheese
    - wrap w/ bacon
    - use a tooth pick to hold everything together[p]-Tom

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Tanya,
    I'm just getting ready to make some. Here's how I do it.[p]Fresh jalapenos (2" to 3" long). Cut stem-end off. Slice jalapeno in half from end to end. Use spoon to scrape out the seeds and veins on both halves. Fill each half with regular cream cheese. Place a frozen (thawed will also do) cocktail sausage or any other kind of meat in one half and cover with the other half. Wrap the entire jalapeno in bacon and pin with a toothpick about half way. Cook direct while turning and flipping over 350° for about 30 minutes until the bacon is done. Slice into three smaller bite-sice pieces and pin each with a toothpick to make eating easier.[p]Enjoy.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Spring Chicken, Thanks! I'll let you know how they turn out. Smoked a butt overnight (my second) and it did great. It's in the cooler waiting to be pulled. Chicken legs are on now! Graduates are on their way over. Pinto beans and Vidalia Onion Pie too! I'm so Eggcited!!!! Thanks so much!

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Tanya,
    MY method is similar to the ones already posted with a couple of adjustments I cool mine indirect @350-400
    And I use a cheese mixture of 8 oz cream cheese 4 oz pepper jack 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and just to kick em up a knotch 1/2 teaspoon of cayene pepper
    all smooshed together, I slice the largest jalepeinos that I can find end to end (I just remove the stem I do not cut off the end) then remove the seeds.( if you leave in a few seeds it will kick up the heat) the I stuff em
    my favoite meat to use is pulled pork
    to asemble I take 1 of the jalepenio halves and layer some pulled pork then the cheese and wrap ir all with aout 1/2 slice of bacon.( the thinner the bacon slice the easer it is to wrap)wrap it like you are using an ace bandage.
    start at the large end and stretch the bacon ad you wrap
    (I have never used toothpicks but many folks do.)
    The put them on your pre heated egg ans smoke for about 35 -45minutes until the bacon browns, note it will take the bacon about 5 minutes to"crisp" after you remove the abts from the egg
    I usually make 75-100 abt's at a time and rarely have any left overs very tasty thingies they are.
    Serve with ample ammount of extreamly cold beer (icehouse is my personal favorite)
    Glenn

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Tanya,
    Darn, sure wish I had proof read my last post before I sent it
    I COOK my abts at 350-400 not cool them
    sorry Glenn

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Glenn,
    Wow! You sure do a lot of extra stuff I would have never thought of. Sounds good. I did try a variation one time and mixed some fried pork sausage with cream cheese and stuffed it in a hollowed out (not sliced) jalapeno, then wrapped it in bacon. I cooked those on my Chili Grill. It wasn't that good, and was a lot more trouble than it was worth. I think I will stick with what works for me and my friends, but thanks for posting your very creative recipe.[p]Spring Chicken

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Freak,
    Hey Man, you need to stop using that "hot Italian sausage" profanity stuff on this forum...LOL
    Dude, your killing me hahahahaha... my thumbs hurt! Joe