Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftover scraps from spatchcocks

Options
CaptainJimmy
CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who saves the giblets and spines/necks from the spatchcocks for soup stock.

I seem to have an ever growing bag this month of stock bits, cooking more chicken these days for the dietary reasons. I've also been saving the stems from fresh broccoli, the ends from carrots and zucchinis, the cores of cabbage.

Wondering if i'm a creepy hoarder for saving these spines to make stock with - i make homemade turkey or chicken soup about once a month, so its not like the necks sit in there for an ice age.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not just the spines, but I save the rest of the carcass after we eat the meat. The added smokey flavor gives the stock a new depth. I save wing tips for the same reason.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I agree with Fidel. All pieces of the turkey, chicken, quail go into the freezer and when I have enough for a large pot they go in with the carrot, celery and onion peelings are also great. Add some home made Italian seasoning, little chicken stock powder and let cook away for 3-4 hours. Cool strain. Figured out years ago that when it has cooled paper towels are great laid on the top of the broth to remove the fat if that is your desire.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    >Figured out years ago that when it has cooled paper >towels are great laid on the top of the broth to remove >the fat if that is your desire.

Great tip! Just now I have a pot of stock sitting in a bank of snow to chill out the fat. Come summer, must remember the paper towels! :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I refrigerate it overnight and the fat will congeal on top and you can just pull the disc of fat off and toss it.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i refrig the stock overnight and usually make the soup the next day.

i've got 2 spatchcocks going right now, i threw in a chunk of apple for some flavor... hopefully the wife doesnt complain
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Why wait 'til summer? As long as the stock is cooled and the fat is on top the paper towels will work, unless it became frozen in the snow.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yes, save it all. I save shrimp shells, and when I've got enough, I make a batch of shrimp stock, and use it to make etouffee. Save beef bones, chicken parts, etc.
    Except for wings, we almost always buy our chickens whole, so we always wind up with lots of bones and leftover skin for making stock (LOTS of collagen in skin, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!).