Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Options

thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read recently where someone just used a nomex gasket on one surface, bottom I think, and was happy with the results.

So I am sure this is a matter of preference but what would be some observations on this?

No gasket, one surface only, or replace both top and bottom when gasket needs redone?

Comments

• replace both...if you are going to go through the trouble of disassembling and replacing one, might as well do both. $900 worth of grill, why tribble with $5 of gasket?

I bought the nomex kit from freds music and bbq, with the super77 adhesive, and my nomex so far is great.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    New egger here. Fried the gasket on my new egg bge did send me a nomex for no cost. Seems there should be a better way. So many gaskets going bad
  • pci wrote:
    New egger here. Fried the gasket on my new egg bge did send me a nomex for no cost. Seems there should be a better way. So many gaskets going bad

there IS a better way... use nomex or rutland!
  • Hello folks ....since this is another gasket thread I thought I'd put in a few comments and answer one of the questions.

1st ... I have a customer who is testing putting dual layer nomex on the one surface only ...i can't remember if it's the dome or base ..anyway ..it's been over 6 months and he reports that it's working good. You need 2 layers because the hinge is "calibrated" for that thickness.

2. We have been experimenting with gaskets et al in different ways ... This past week we put double thick (2 glued together) on the top of our Demo XL Egg ..the same one I have used to fry gaskets all summer...if you were at our Turkey Fest , you watched me do it when I was making the Turkey Pizza Pies ! Anyway ... I'll report back after I get a chance to test this setup.

3. the nomex is flame retardant ..that means it won't burn on it's own if it gets "licked" by flames it will burn. 700 degrees is about it ... that being said, I am experimenting with baking pizza at
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Isn't the nomex thicker than the stock? If so wouldn't just one surface be ok?
  • The nomex gaskets are the exact same specs as the OEM gaskets. 1" x 1/8" (thick) for the LG, MD, and XL - 3/4" x 1/8" for the small and mini.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You may be talking about me. I went with that setup a while back and really like it. I get a great seal, quiet/soft close, don't freeze shut, gravity is never working against you, half the work and half the price.

I have been very rough on these nomex and they seem to be doing well. My next ones will probably be the Coltronics and high heat adhesive. But the Nomex and 3m 77 stuff is holding strong at 7-8 months all 3 seeing high temps.