Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket....

texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first brisket last night and into today... almost 9 lbs and took about 19 hrs!

Rubbed and ready:

IMG_2368.jpg

Texas meteorite:

IMG_2370.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat:

IMG_2375.jpg

Here is a variety of slices... the bottom right is from the farthest end of the flat so it was the leanest, just above that, there is a hunk of point, and then the slices to on the left are kinds in the middle so they were a nice balance of lean/moist.

IMG_2374.jpg

It looks drier in the pics to me than it was... in fact except for the far end of the flat, it was very moist. I was proud of the outcome, especially for my first time.

Special thanks go out to several of you whose knowledge I borrowed thru the forum!

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Excellent job. Some of the best bark I've ever seen. Man, I'd like a slice!
  • Very good....first try or not. What kind of wood did you use? Also, at what temperature did you pull the brisket?

BTW....I'm a 'Bama fan....don't hold it against me.
  • I used 3 pieces of hickory and 3 pieces of pecan, all the size of a small fist. I maintained a grid temp of about 215 for all but about the last hour where it ran maybe 235-240. I kept a drip pan with about 2 cups of liquid (drippings and added water) in there at all time. I pulled at 195, wrapped it in foil then towels and let it rest in a cooler for about an hour before slicing.

It was really no different of a cook for me than a butt. I just cooked it a tad lower than I normally do a butt, and I used a turkey baster to suck up the dripping from the pan and basted the top of the brisket about 5 or 6 times in the second half of the cook.

The flat isn't my favorite, but many here (TX) prefer it. Personally, give me the point and the midpoint between the point and the flat and I'm a happy boy. ;-)
  • Looks a heck-of-lot better than my first brisket, for sure.

I finally started tight-foiling my briskets when they reach the plateau (about 160°) for an hour or so, then opening the foil for the remainder of the cook. That way all those juices remain in the foil and gradually ger re-obsorbed. Seems to work better for me but some would say I'm doing it all wrong.

Congratulations... you did good.

Spring "Thinking Brisket At 4:00 AM" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I've always cooked packers, but an old timer who cooks flats said he puts bacon strips on top to baste the flat.

I might give that a try one of these days.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Brisket is, to me, one of the hardest cuts bar none. Outstanding job for 1st time or any time for that matter! ;)
  • Mightyfine brisket - especially for a first time and a War Eagle did it! :laugh:

Very nice - bet you have some happy customers at the house.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That looks great. I have yet to do a brisket. But soon. Hope it comes out that good.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney