Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork vs sliced pork BBQ sammich's?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was just reading that good article on "Pork Butt selection" virtualweberbullet website that was just posted, and it brings up a question.
Towards the end of the article it says (the author) much prefers pulled pork versus sliced pork sandwich's.
To each his own of course, but I am wondering if most everybody feels this way? And why?
This weekend I stopped at a BBQ joint on California's coast hwy #1, and had a fantastic "chunky" sliced pork sammich.
I'm now planning on cooking my next butt like this the next time around. (soon!)
It just seemed "meatier" somehow...
Just curious about others opinions.
Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04645ab.jpg

I do PBE's (pork burnt ends) that work well in a chunk sammy or wrapped in a flour tortilla. Are they better than a PP sammy? Well they sure could be. When it comes to sliced or chopped pork, they are less popular but I do enjoy them.

4337294d.jpg

Another way to go is to cook pork steaks, they are cut from a butt, and when you cook them in steak form you get more surface area for your rub or sauce. These are wonderful sliced for sandwiches.

DSC05190JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    You consistently post great stuff. I like the steak idea.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    thirdeye,

I had my first and only pork steak in southern MO a few years ago. Been wanting them ever since. Are they normally done at low temps? Everything I have read here seems to be near 350*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Here in Tennessee most like their butt's pulled. I have been helping a friend set a new Hardware store and I will eventually co-manage anyway I met a guy from Indiana who likes his butt sliced.

I know in order to slice a butt you have to pull it at 170° but how do you slice it? Do you use a slicer and slice it thin or do you use a knife and slice it on the thick side? Thanks Tim :)
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Thanks for some ideas!
    The pork sammich meat that I had, was definitely cut on the thick side. Chunky!
    I sure liked it! :woohoo:
    I'm thinking if it were cut real thin it would be more like pulled pork. But what do I know? :lol:
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Steve,
    I grew up around St. Louis and pork steaks are a common place. (on sale this week for $.99 a pound) We would always cook them on medium heat then put them in a pan of sauce for a hour or so. When I got my egg I started to cook them indirect around 225. For about 2 -3 hours. You have to be careful they don't dry out. I have wrapped in foil with apple juice if they are a thin cut.

When my sister moved to Florida she asked the butcher for pork steaks and she ended up with pork chops. She had to explain to him to slice up a pork butt. He could not understand why you would want that.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Never done sliced or chunks, was introduced to butt in the form of pork steaks, love them basted real good with a sauce, but pulled pork is my favorite, goes a long way and is versatile, not to mention I really like the smoke flavor taht seems tp permeate the pork with Pulled.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Kokeman,

Thanks man! That is what I wanted to do. The ones I had were frome a supermarket and that was their Tuesday special. My god they were good! I'm going out for butt tommorow.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    Options
    My wife is from there, we were just back that way a few weeks ago. All the kinfolk use the Maulls, I could never develop a taste for it.

On my pork steak page, there is a marinade from Juggy D. Beerman. It's great on pork steaks. It's called "Uncle Chuck Bob's Piggy Parts Marinade". Heheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC06121JPGa.jpg

Have one for breakfast, or brunch or just have breakfast for dinner with a grilled pork steak. You can cook them about any way you want.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thirdeye,

Stop torturing me Elanor! (from National Lampoon). The one I had was in a white bread sandwich with no butter or sauce. Need one bad now! Thanks!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Thirdeye,

Maulls used to run thru my vains when I was younger. It seems like that all you could buy. We would have to send it to my sister when she moved.

My Dad still swears by Maulls but he will get me SBR when he haves us over.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    thirdeye when you make pork butt burnt ends, do you start from raw in chunks, or do you cook to a certain temp, chunk and pan, and then finish the rest of the way?