Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whiskey Brown Sugar Pork Loin

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Last night saw the egg cooking for the Mother In Law. She has a bridge club about once a month and she asked if I would cook her a pork loin, what was I to say? Naw, she's great and its a very appreciative group, love to help her out when I can. It earns free babysitting later on also which is always nice. ANYWAY...[p]I was looking through my BBQ book, Raichlens BBQ USA, and came across a recipe that turned out awesome and thought I'd share. I butterflied or jellyrolled the loin, put about tablespoon of Whiskey on the loin and then covered it with about 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard. Then I put on about 1/3 cup brown sugar and then another 2 tablespoons of whiskey. I then rolled and tied the loin back together.[p]I cooked it direct on a raised grid at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours, 135 internal. About the last 45 minutes I glazed it with a mixture of butter, brown sugar and mustard.[p]My unique contribution to the loin recipe was to add several slices of home made pastrami during the last 15 minutes of the cook. I glazed in onto the top of the loin. Added a nice flavor to the finished product I think and made for a real nice presentation at the table before it was cut.[p]Gotta tell you, its one of the best loins I've cooked in a long time. Wish I could take credit for the idea but its in the BBQ USA book that I have, I just added the pastrami. Going to cook another one for the family this weekend. Just thought I'd share that one, its worth a try if you like pork loin.[p]Troy

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    sprinter,
    My favorite flavors! That's a keeper, for sure.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Sounds great!!!!! I'll have to try it. BTW how much whiskey got in you? One for the loin, one for me. That's how it works over here. hehe :)
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    sprinter,[p]Thanks for the idea. I will be trying this weekend.[p]RayS
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    sprinter,sounds great...I'm off to the whiskey store.Thanks

• sprinter
    StubbyQ,[p]Not much of a whiskey man myself, personally I prefer a good beer. Which is exactly what I had while I was preparing it and cooking it. Right now I have about 35 gallons of homebrew in the basement so I have plenty of "flavors" to choose from. With the summer BBQ competition season upon me, family/friend get togethers on other weekends, friends dropping by, and just plain having a cold one during a yard work day, its nice to be able to go to the basement and pick what I want. Its funny how many people who BBQ also brew their own beer. Someone took a straw poll a long time ago and the results were almost frightening. Alot of homebrewers in this group. Who can blame us though, BBQ and homebrew is a match made in heaven.[p]Troy
  • StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Yeah, I used to brew beer myself. Lots of fun, but the funny thing is I don't drink. Ain't that a hoot! Anyway just keep going the way you are. Sounds like you go it together.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    sprinter,[p]That sounds great, but why pastrami? If (well, when) I try that I'll use bacon.[p]And how do you make pastrami?
  • sprinter
    BluesnBBQ,[p]HAHAHAHAHA....great question.[p]Why Pastrami? Because I didnt have any BACON. HAHAHA I actually wanted to USE bacon.[p]Really, I thought I had some left in the freezer from the last batch I made but I remembered I used it all last weekend to make some Pig Candy for the practice run my cooking partner and I did last weekend.[p]How do you make Pastrami? Smoke a corned beef brisket. Its that simple. You can either corn the brisket yourself or buy one already corned, then smoke it for a few hours with whatever smoking wood you want and you're set. Pretty darned good stuff too. I love pastrami.[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    sprinter,[p]Okay, now what the heck is pig candy? Sounds like something StumpBaby ate as a kid. :)
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    BluesnBBQ,
    I've never had this but i guess it is bacon cooked with a lot of brown sugar. It's cut up into bitesize pieces first.

• sprinter
    Angie2B,[p]Good call Angie, exactly right. 'sept I dont cut it up into little bite size pieces first. I just use the bacon as I've sliced it, coat it real well with brown sugar and a few other "things" then throw it on the smoker for about 90 minutes or so. Not a bad little treat. I usually dont make it just by itself on the egg but when I have the big smoker going there is usually some room on one of the shelves early on in the cook to allow for a tray of this stuff. Kind of a competition treat for my buddy and me and whoever else wants some when its done. Good stuff, you should give it a try sometime.[p]Troy