Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New larger egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hear that BGE will soon have a larger egg much like the primo oval.
Can anyone confirm that?

Comments

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Rob Costello,[p]Yep, It will be a 24" model. Not oval though.[p] Dave

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    wd04_053.jpg
    <p />Rob Costello,
    Good to see you here! Yes, here is a photo of the prototype. The final model will have a base that is about 2.5 inches deeper. As you can see it is round. With the problems encountered in the design of an oval cooker, I think it wise to stick with the round shape.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]The XL looks great! I'm about ready to get a 2nd large but this may be a better choice. Any word on when this will be avaiable and price?[p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    stuart,
    BGE is hoping for June or July with an estimated street price in the $850-$900 range..HTH[p]PS.. it weighs in at around 200#
    Wess

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    What are some of the problems with an oval cooker? Cracking perhaps? It would seem that the oval shape might lend itself better cooking wise than round?

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Rob Costello,[p]Here's a pic of me cooking burgers on the prototype model recently (thanks to drbbq for taking the pic!)....[p]If you've been happy with your egg, you're gonna love this cooker. It's got LOTS of room and is made by folks you know and trust...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Me Cooking Burgers on the XL[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BobM,
    As I understand it, the oval shape led to uneven heating and thus uneven stress on the shell causing them to crack. The fix was to provide a ceramic plate that lies in the bottom of the oval and shields the bottom from heat. I suppose time will tell if this is a good fix to the problem. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Time says yes - it solved the problem :-). 3 racks of ribs on mine as we type![p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    Of course, this is one of those "prove a negative" things. We can't prove something will never happen. Oh deary me. Now I'm worried. :-) I would be concerned, however, that the plate might only delay the problem, perhaps a long enough cook might allow the problem to recur. Whatever....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Rob Costello,[p]It's bigger than the oval and cooks the same as the other round cookers. Why change something that works so well?
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, clearly the BGE oval shape has more inherent strength and less possiblity of stress fracture than an oblong shape. The oblong oval is subject to uneven cooking and uneven heating pressures ...

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    WessB,[p]Wow, that is quite a jump from the Large, at least what I remember paying for mine 5-6 years ago. I hope that price includes a nest, stainless door, and one handed stay-open type hinge.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]Did you say BGE Oval? Let's nip this in the bud right here and now, dude, the XL is a larger version of the workhorse Large BGE. :~)
    The lid is a dome .... one of the strongest shapes there is and the body is cylindrical/conical.... also very strong shapes that equally distribute stresses while they expand and contract..... nothing oval about the XL![p]Morning cuppas,
    John[p][p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Exactly.[p]John