Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't seem to get my new large egg to under 300 degrees even with the dampers almost shut

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    biggy M,[p]Maybe you can put it in an ice bath :)[p]But seriously, you have to sneak UP on the temperature you want. If you're overshooting the temperature, then trying to cool her down..you could be waiting an awful long time to get it back down, especially if it was in some high temperature range for a long period of time.[p]If I want to hit smoking temps, usually 225 or so, then I'll bring it up to about 250 with the vents all open, then I put in the plate setter (or fire bricks), drip pan, cold meat..smoking wood chunks etc..then close the top and bottom vents to something like an eigth of an inch. Putting in all that mass from the meat, drip pan, plate setter etc..usually brings down the temp below 225..then I can just slowly..very slowly..adjust the vents till it creeps up to what I want. Takes a little time..but once you get the hang of it it's real easy to do.[p]LB

• Roundman
    Roundman Posts: 43
    Options
    Lord Beasley,[p]How lond does it normally take to establish a stable burn or temp.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Roundman,[p]It varies. Over time you'll get the hang of where to set the vents to get you where you want to be. I think it takes me something like 10-15 minutes or so to get in the smoking temp range..but I'll be tweaking it now and again (not babysitting it closely mind you..just goin out there a few times and seeing if its moved at all) for another half hour or so till I'm happy that it's stable. That's just me though, other folks have different methods I'm sure.[p]LB