Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Options
Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to smoke some cheddar tomorrow. Was wondering
if someone would suggest how long to smoke it. I'm not after a real strong smokey taste.
Thanks in advance.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Anywhere from 90 minutes to 2hours. I like two hours. Good luck. This will be the easiest cook you do with great results!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    Thanks Molly, bye the way how long did you let it sit before you cut into it and enjoyed your efforts. I've read different opinions on this.

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I was thinking about pulling it out and tasting tonight. I think 4-5 days is good.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    Sounds good to me, I'll give it a try.
    Thanks again.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
  • cookn biker
    Options
    What smoke you using? What cheese dd you end up getting?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    I smoked mine for a hour and thought it was to much.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm

This is what I followed.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I don't use that method. I do the soldering iron with wood chips on top and that's it. Not sure if the 2 methods make that much difference.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    I was going to try that next time. Do you soak your chips?
  • cookn biker
    Options
    nope, never.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Just smoked cheese today! OOpppsss...Yesterday :whistle:
    I use my "bean can cold smoke generator" same method as Molly.
    It really is simple! And, a great way to smoke cheese!
    Can't say that one method makes more smoke, or stronger smoke, than the other...But I let the bean can burn for at least 1-1/2 to 2 hrs.
    If you do a taste test right away, or even in a day or two, it is real sharp. Not that I haven't eaten it right away (I'm going to use some tomorrow making pizza pies)but a week in the fridg. is a good rule of thumb. It really mellows the flavor through out.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I did 3 batches in one week in December and all of them were for 1 hour. 2 of them turned out amazing but one is too strong. The only difference is one got a second blast of smoke.

What I mean is that I use the soup can method and for the first two batches I didn't touch anything for an hour. On the last batch I decided it wasn't smoking enough so I jiggled the cord to jiggle the can and created a second heavy smoke and even after a month it still has a little ash tray taste. I'll either leave it alone from now on or cut them back to 45 minutes.

Good luck, it's tough to beat good smoked cheese and I'm opening up a package of swiss tomorrow! woohoo

Bruce
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I think it has to do with the type of cheese (hard, soft, sharp, mild…), the smoke-wood and a need for a good ageing!
    I really feel that a week of ageing is a minimum and about three weeks to a month is perfect!
    I have done various smoke times ranging from 1 to 3 hours and after a month of ageing…I can’t tell a difference!
    The “age” time really seems to be a huge factor in mellowing / infusing the smoke flavor here. Even if I thought I had really over done it…After two weeks in the fridge… :)
    BTW, I always use apple for smoking cheese, but I also want to give grape vine a try too, once I can get to my prunings.