Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seattle Eggers: Where do you get your lump?

Options
silver00
silver00 Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Redmond, and I've looked at the local groceries with no luck. I tried to order Royal Oak from the Ace Hardware but they only carry the briquets. :-(

I've tried Cowboy Lump and found it burned too fast and too hot compared to the BGE lump.

I love the BGE lump and the Wicked, both carried by Rich's in Bellevue, but at ~$30/bag, I'm experimenting too much to keep wasting it.

Anybody with ideas?

Comments

• You can get RO up in Snohomish off the 2. It is about 16 bucks a 20 lb bag last time I was up here. I searched all over Redmond as well with no luck so this was the closest I could find.

http://www.mcdanielsdoitcenter.com/

- Gary
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    Try your local Wally*World. They stock RO 10# about $6.50.
    If not in stock ask them to stock it.

Ron in Longview.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I like BGE lump and I get it whenever I'm in town near a dealer, usually Sutter Home in Woodinville.

Ace Hardware also carries lump during the summer. Occasionally I can even get it at the Whidbey Ace!

Whole Foods carries lump.

I've never been very happy with any lump other than BGE. I've always paid around $20 a bag for it.

Very surprised Rich's is charging $30!

I believe you can also walk into the distributors in Kent and buy directly from them. They carry both BGE and Wicked Good.

Associated Energy Systems
    8621 South 180th Street
    Kent, WA 98032-1027
    local phone 425-251-9190

But phone them first to be sure.

There will be BGE and Wicked Good at the PNW Eggfest on 6/5. Of course you may need to get some before then. ;) I'll try and talk the organizers into doing a 'show special' on lump!
  • BraveUlysses
    Options
    Anderson Fireplace sometimes stocks Wicked Good Charcoal. Marysville location has it in stock 75% of the time, Everett about 10%. But, they will special order some from their distributor for no additional fee if they don't have it in stock.

I've also found Wicked Good Charcoal at Sutter Home in Woodinville (off hwy 9).

I gave up on BGE charcoal after the second bag in a row with rocks and insulation
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    You should have taken that BGE lump back! I've never had anything like that in any of mine.
  • silver00
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the replies. I have really liked the Wicked Weekend Warrior blend, it's been perfect. I'm going to try and find it locally, but I'm also going to see about maybe ordering a pallet from them and having it shipped.
  • ebski
    ebski Posts: 15
    Options
    I just paid $23 a bag for WW at Rich's this weekend, and also picked up a bag of Hawaaian Ono for the same price to try out. Rich's is a bit pricey, but they seem to have a great stock of supplies. If there is another place to get WW or BGE at a better price I would love to hear about it.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    wicked good will ship to you. I can get 3x22lb bags of WGWW lump shipped to me for the same price as my local distributor sells it - about $22 a bag.

Also, the wally world royal oak is awesome stuff. cowboy is garbage.
  • BraveUlysses
    Options
    How'd you get their shipping to get so low? They want 51 bucks for FedEx home delivery of 41 dollars of charcoal, which works out to $31/bag.
  • silver00
    Options
    ebski wrote:
    I just paid $23 a bag for WW at Rich's this weekend, and also picked up a bag of Hawaaian Ono for the same price to try out. Rich's is a bit pricey, but they seem to have a great stock of supplies. If there is another place to get WW or BGE at a better price I would love to hear about it.

The Rich's in Bellevue on 20th? I just called them and they quoted $28.99/bag + 9.3% sales tax = $31.71 out the door.

I've contacted Wicked corporate and am working on a local bulk source for $15 per 20lb bag.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I'll be interested to hear how you like the Hawaiian Ono. Be sure and post.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    silver00,
    I live down here in Eugene, (but do get up to Seattle a bit) and get all my lump at a place called "Cash and Carry", kind of like a small version of Costco. (only food)
    See if there is a store in Seattle area.
    A 40lb bag of Mesquite costs 12 bucks.
  • ebski
    Options
    Yes, the Rich's in Bellevue. I believe that price is for the BGE...the WW and Ono is cheaper.
  • ebski
    Options
    Yes, the Rich's in Bellevue. I believe that price is for the BGE...the WW and Ono is cheaper.

I will also add that there is one woman in there who really seems to know her stuff...I think she manages all the BBQ gear. You might have talked to someone else who assumed all the lump was the same price. I think her name is Michelle...could be wrong. She's really nice.

I am looking forward to trying the Ono, and will post after I have given it a try.
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    Sutter's Home and Hearth in Woodinville and Conklin's Appliance in Lynnwood. BGE lump or Wicked for $25-$27.
    Sutter's has always been a great for about any of my BGE needs.
    scott
  • Tim Morgan
    Options
    Thompson's Hearth & Home in Issaquah has BGE for $20 and WG for $22, including sales tax.