Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kiwi Fruit Results

RayS
RayS Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago I posted a message regarding using Kiwi fruit as a meat tenderizer and I was asked to post my results. Last week I tried slices of Kiwi on a chunk of pork, which I left on the meat for about 2 hours. I couldn’t see any difference in the meat. Yesterday I chopped 2 Kiwi and added to a zip lock bag containing a 1lb piece of bottom round beef. I allowed it to sit in the fridge for 6 hours. When I removed the meat I couldn’t believe how it changed the texture. I applied a light coating of Jamaican Firewalk rub and grilled until medium well. The meat was really tender, but had a gritty texture to it. Maybe I should have rinced the beef before I applied the rub.[p]Has anyone else used fruit as a tenderizer? [p]RayS

Comments

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    RayS,[p]I don't know if this counts, but I once used a banana to beat a cube steak into submission...or maybe more accurately..ATTEMPT to beat a cube staek into submission..them things sure is tough..i'll tell you that.[p]Heck..I don't even know why I did it..but the banana was there..and so was that nasty ol cube steak..and it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I can't say it helped the steak..or the banana..or my wife for that matter (she sure looks at me funny sometimes..but I suppose you walk in on somebody beating the hell out of a perfectly fine piece of meat with some kinda ripe produce..you gotta expect some interestin looks to say the least..I think maybe it woulda went over bettah if'n I didn't have that look of rage in my eyes..or maybe all that banana gunk stuck in my eyebrows..or maybe it was the cuz words I liberally used throughout the whole process...or maybe if I didn't yell.."stand back hun..I don't know how big this things gets" when she walked in the room..apparently men should just not say that when they is double fistin a banana over their head..of course I was talking about the meat..I mean the first time you violently swing a banana in a fit of rage..you just have no idea what damage it can do......truth be told.. at one point I was more mad at the banana than the steak..probably cause the steak seemed to be OK with this whole process..the banana on the other hand was doing its best to get back at me....and not once..not even once..did I even get the pleasure of the faintest taste of banana..though at one point the thought came across my mind that if I really WANTED to taste banana..I could probably lick my eyebrows..but then again..I thought..if I could do that..I surely wouldn't be in the kitchen tenderizin my meat with a banana)..but when I was done... I myself sure felt better..course it sure took a long time to clean up the banana that was all over the kitchen. I remember the feeling as I went out to the garage to get the stepladder (that cieling sure is tall..I'll tell you that) pure bliss..banana everywhere...but pure 100 percent unadultered bliss. [p]The steak..which I might add..I had to wait a full day to cook..mostly cause banana sure takes a long time to clean up (the wife still claims that the kitchen sponges smell of banana..but till I pay the 75 five dollars for the local guy to come out and roter rooter my nose out..I can't claim one way or the other whether there's truth to this or not..call me cheap) tough as all get out..never ever again..will I try this...it done no good whatsoever..cept of course if you hate bananas..cause I'm guessing the little misses ain't gonna be bringing any of them home from the piggly wiggly..that's for sure...I guess I should have beat the darned banana into submission with the cube steak..than maybe she won't bring none of them cube steaks home...leave it to me to do things backwards...[p]Thank you Ray...it's good to be back...[p]Ahh..the life of a Stump[p]StumpBaby
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    StumpBaby,[p]Oh no, please don’t hold me responsible. He-he-he : )[p]RayS

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    RayS,
    While not using the whole fruits, I've tried using juices and extracted enzyme tablets from a couple known for their tenderizing properties. Most notable of these are bromelain from pineapple and also papain from the papaya. You can use the juices of these fruits or buy tablets (listed as 'digestive aids' since what they are doing is breaking down proteins, thus the tenderizing effect). With the chewable papaya enzyme tablets I have I simply crush in a mortar and pestle and either add to the rub I use and let rest or put it in an injection liquid and inject that into the meat. Try the papaya nectar in the juice section of your store (or try slices of papaya on top of pork; I bet it adds a nice flavour on its own!). If you want to try this concentrated enzyme, let me know and I'll ship you some.
    Qfan

• Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    StumpBaby,
    Oh my that was good! Tears in my eyes!
    Thanks!
    Rd