Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

direct or indirect?

Options
Rafterdude
Rafterdude Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Became the proud owner of a large bge last friday. Just curious to know if you all have a preference on the direct or indirect method?
Just did my favorite pork loin chops using the direct 3/3/4 method,
sad that they were not up to snuff, ie dry slightly charred. Im thinkin the id method may be the way?

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    rafterdude,
    Congrats and welcome!
    I think direct vs. indirect depends on what you are cooking. For chops or steaks, I think most will say direct. Depending on how thich the chops were, 10 mins would be way too long. I did some t-bones tonight...about 1" thick and went 2 mins on each side.
    Typically, you'll use indirect for longer cooks where you don't want the food to come in direct contact with the heat.
    Good luck...I promise, the cooks will improve greatly!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Welcome to the club, RD. I agree that 10 mins is way to long for your chops unless they are 1½" thick or more. It won't take long before you find the right combination of time and temp to turn out succulent, juicy meat every time.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    rafterdude,
    As a good rule of thumb (with the exception of steaks), if its over 1.5 - 2 inches thick, you'll want to do indirect. Anything thinner is pretty much direct.
    If your trying to follow an oven recipe, if it calls for the Broiler, then go direct. If it calls for Baking, then its indirect. Those couple pointers will go a long way. Welcome to the club, and happy grilling

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    rafterdude,
    i second wailingangusbeef. . .i think about foods in the egg like i do in the kitchen. . .if it was baked in the oven, then it goes in direct over the plate setter. . .if it was broiled, then it goes direct. ..and some stuff that was done in a pan on the stove, i sometimes do direct, or i have a cast iron pan i put on the egg direct and cook in the pan just like i would on the stove (particularly if i want the food to cook in its juices. ..you can stick a wok in there if you want as well . .[p]but if nothing, buy yourself a platesetter, you will be amazed how much you use it. .i think i probably use mine for at least 60% of my cooks...

• Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. Yall are incredibly loyal and eggcited about all aspects of this bge thing. Sure I will learn lots! Thanks again! Happy Memorial Day.[p][p]