Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

rum marinade for ribs

bigjimbigjim Posts: 3
edited 2:08PM in EggHead Forum
has anyone ever used rum as a part of a marinade for ribs? I have a couple bottles from the holidays and was going maybe use it. any advice or help would be appreciated

• I do it all the time.

Oh wait, you mean as an ingredient in the marinade.

Spring "Rum Soaked" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • bigjim,

Do a search on Jamaican cooking or west indian and you will find some. I have done it with rum, pinapple juice,olive oil, chilis and jerk spices.

Caledon, ON

• We did one a few weeks ago. We found a simple Mojo marinade recipe and added some rum to it. If I can remember right the recipe called for a total of 2 cups of other liquids and we added 1/4 cup of rum to it.
  • DrugCoder,

I'm sure there are hundreds of recipes throughout the Caribbean. I like rum in seafood cooks too.

Caledon, ON

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    Rum or bourbon are usually interchangeable, eggcept I never heard of a Spring Chicken drinking bourbon and coke. LOL

Here is a link that has lots of good ideas.

Marinade, All Purpose, Bourbon

1/4 cup bourbon
    1/4 cup soy Sauce
    1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 each small onion, chopped fine
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 dash Worcestershire Sauce

1 Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and refrigerate. Use this marinade on all types of meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, etc.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ List, Carey Starzinger, 1996/07/29
  • BigTBigT Posts: 385

The above is a sauce, not a marinade, and is very sweet, but does dark rum justice. Ignore the bake in the oven part :laugh:
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,795
    bigjim, I usualy soak my ribs from the inside out Rum, diet coke and a little lime juice, drink and soak ribs on the inside. It won't change the taste of your rib cook but will make the cook feel good. :)
    Jupiter Jim
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!