Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Size and Charcoal Use

boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a BGE, and I can't decide between what size to get. Typically, I will be cooking for two people, but I would like to have extra capacity for when we entertain guests.

I guess my main question is, if I get a larger size egg, and I am only cooking for two, will I have to use more charcoal in the larger grill than I would in a smaller grill because of its extra capacity/volume?

Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    The most common is the large.The Large has the most EGGcessories.You wont waste the lump. Snuff it out and relite when your ready to cook again.

Larry
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I would say get the large and also a mini or a small. That way you'll be saving on lump and a trip to the dealer for the smaller one that you will understand is needed soon enough. Soo much more versatility with 2 eggs and many days you won't even use the large.

I've only been at it for just over a year and have a lg, sm. mini.

The new outdoor kitchen will have room for another large. ;)
  • Ditto what poolguy said, on the smaller quick cooks you will have lump leftover to use next time....I own a large and small, now I'm begging my wife to let me buy a mini :P
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    I have a large and a small. The small is big enough to feed my family of four. The large does use more lump but when your done cooking you close the vents and the unused lump will be good for your next cook.

I would suggest you get a large. The small will cook enough food for two but there will be times when your cooking larger cuts of meat or cooking for a group that you are going to regret buying the smaller egg.

But any size egg is better than no egg. GOOD LUCK
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    the large is very practical size wise and is usually the choice for what you would need in your circumstances. we all add a second down the road. the small is a lump miser. the first few years i owned the large i was burning around 400 pounds lump a year but i was cooking a good 6 days a week on the egg year round. i cook usually for 1 or 2, weekends sometimes 6 to 10, if i only had one egg it would be a large. i only use it a couple times a week now, maybe 150 pounds a year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mbmike
    mbmike Posts: 32
    In a short time you will own more than one anyways , so just pick up two while your at the store. enjoy
  • Start with a large. I did, and live alone. Very versatile, lots of eggsesories. It's easy on lump, just shut it down, reuse it again. Once you really get hooked, you'll want another. I just picked up a small for multiple cook temps and to take camping.
  • I have a XL and a med. I use the xl the most because I believe it is the most versatile It always has lump left over, so with a swish of my ash stick the ash from the previous cook falls through the grate holes and I'm ready for another fire, unlike my medium, it usually uses most of its lump and the holes in the grate are much smaller so the spent lump and ash don't clear as well. All BGE's are fine cookers each one has thier own personalities not problems just differences.
    FireWalker
  • I have a large and love it. I see no reason for a second egg, as I would only use it maybe once a year. If i was competing with eggs, I would have 4 larges.

I've gotten very good at planning my cooks so I only need one cooker. I've cooked up to 40lbs of baby backs in a day (2 rounds of 20lbs) and 35lbs of st loius + 5lbs of trimmings (also 2 rounds). I catered my whole backyard bbq for a christening for 35 people in my large, and large alone. I do not have a stoker or BBQguru, but my large is so predictable that I can leave it alone for 2-3 hours at a time and my temps will not vary more than 10-15degrees.

previous day, 1 load of lump
    5am: pork butts on
    3pm: pork butts off, 7 racks baby backs on
    8pm: baby backs off

day of party (did not need to reload lump, just a quick stir):
    9am: tray of ABTS on, as well as 7 racks still in foil on
    11am: return from church, abts and racks off, unfoil racks, grill to give a quick char

cooked burgers and hotdogs on it as needed.

I'd say thats pretty darned miserly on lump.. I was using wicked good weekend warrior, which while moderately expensive is still cheaper than BGE lump.
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    You will want the large if you are going to make pizzas [and if you have an Egg you are going to want pizzas]. The large allows you to make a nice size pizza and you can cook it near the top of the cooker and keep track of it through the opening in the top thus not having to open the Egg to check. There are only two of us but our large fits the bill. And for low and slows you don't have to worry about running out of lump.