Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A BURGER ON THE SMALL & TOO MUCH LUMP

Sooner Egg
Sooner Egg Posts: 578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since it's Lent and I can't have meat on Fridays, I try to get my burger fix on Thursday night. My wife and daughter opted for something else, I picked up some 80/20 ground chuck on my way home, there is nothing better than a burger on the egg, the right combo of fat to meat ratio makes for the perfect burger on an open grill...sorry no picture of it plated, I couldn't wait to devour it B)

DSC01104.jpg

My wife thinks I have a problem with lump and should seek help, I say we can't have too much lump :whistle:

DSC01095.jpg

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I don't like to go to Wal-Mart, ok, I go for Royal Oak. In the Lawn and Garden door and back out.

Well, I loaded up on lump in Oct, and was getting kinda nervous because I only have 3 bags left. I decided to check to see if Wal-Mart was back in the lump business. Sure enough they were putting the Lawn and Garden center together! I had to go in the pharmacy door, but I was able to buy plenty...not as much as you...but enough to take care of the shakes. :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    wokonmedium wrote:
    I don't like to go to Wal-Mart...

Amen! :lol:

Michael, nice stash! Looks like my stack of Wicked Good. Your wife is right , of course. :)

Now I want a burger - and it's only 9AM!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    "Don't like going to Wal-Mart"!? :huh: Shoot, must be a northern thang. My truck is trained to go there. In fact when we go out of town and pass one on the road, I have to fight to keep it in the road :laugh:

Besides, where else we gonna get our nascar t-shirts? :laugh: :whistle:

Just take a look at what you're missing by not really getting in the store.
    http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?paged=204
  • you can eat meat. it's just not supposed to be anything extravagant.

anyway. you can never have too much lump!
    i really would love some of that R.O. not much around here anymore.
  • I Don't even have my egg yet and I already have 5 10 lbs bags of RO. Only 2 more weeks and I will have mine.

FireTruck, here in the Charlotte area(NASCAR Central) we can get you about anything you want as far as NASCAR items.
  • Wal mart near us keeps it year round, but I just can't help picking up a bag when I'm in there.... :)
  • I believe you are incorrect, catholic law dictates that catholics should abstain from meat on Fridays of Lent and Ash Wednesday
  • WokOnMedium
    You crack me up!!!!! I don't think its a northern thing, I think its a Staci thing.

Don't get me wrong, WalMart can be a cool place at 7am or 10pm. I think its more that I don't like people...standing, trapped in the bread aisle waiting for a frustrated mother to finish screaming at her kid is not my idea of a pleasant Saturday afternoon.
  • Carolina Q
    walmart-attire.jpg

:)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hey Sooner Egg, is that the Wal-Mart on Santa Fe and Danforth of the one by I-35? I live here in Edmond and just purchased an XL Egg from Everything BBQ. Need to find a good lump supplier. By the looks of your stash there might not be any left. Love the OU pic.
  • WokOnMedium
    Maybe that's my problem, I feel under dressed.

1006.jpg

1015.jpg

1012.jpg

I think this one is headed right for the Egg. :whistle:
    1005.jpg
  • i'm often incorrect.

just saying. no one can ever explain why it's "meat", including most die-hard catholics (and i know a few).

it used to be that you were to fast. and fasting didn't necessarily mean giving up food so much as not being excessive. you were allowed to eat, just don't have a party. be humble, abstemious.

meat, more specifically, big hunks of roast beef (think prime rib for example) have always been showy extravagances, but even more so a few hundred years ago. you eat something like that during a period of repent, fasting, reflection, well. that's just not cool, right? that's where the prohibition come from.

my point is that in the spirit of the "law", it would be just as poor form to have a lobster on friday. why? because it is an extravagance. in colonial america, it was a trash fish. no one would have counted it as an extravagance then.

so it isn't just "meat" per se (beef). not in the original intent, anyway.

lots of finger-wagging types will give you grief for quietly eating a small hamburger on a friday, but would have no issue if you had lobster thermidor. they are applying a rule they can't explain, and ignoring the spirit of it.
  • Smokin Okie, congrats on the XL....I've been buying my R/O in the garden center from the Wal Mart on 1-35 between 15th and 2nd street, also check out Crest on 15th for Ozark Oak, it's excellent lump and @ $4.78 a bag it's worth the price
  • so is my hamburger considered "extravagant"? if not then it's on the menu for Fridays during Lent :P
  • Funny you should say that, because instead of having our normal friday night pizza or burgers, (my wife and son are practicing Catholics) were having a crabmeat stuffed Alaskan cod roll which cost me about $35.00 in ingredients to prepare. :woohoo: It weighs about 3 1/2 lbs. and I rolled and tied it like a stuffed pork loin, just with four fillets intead. :laugh: Hey, as long as SHE's okay with it, I am. :whistle:
  • heathen sunnuvab!tch. hahaha

meanwhile, i get stared at for having a hot dog.

there are a good many instances in life where someone memorizes the rule, but misses the concept

"never end a sentence with a preposition" is a minor one, but one everyone seems to know
  • no. your hamburger is maybe the cheapest chunk of the cow.

it is not "against the law" to have a burger on friday. it IS if you have a giant stuffed crab-roll thing. poor weekendwarrior. i liked him, too. but he's going straight to hell.

if you ever run into a catholic family member who says it's against the rule to eat meat on friday, ask them why. hahahaha

sad to see a grown adult say "i don't know, but that's what i've been told."

heh heh heh :evil:

notice, please, that i have not gotten into whether such a law is good or bad or whatever . i'm just saying, if someone is gonna quote laws, they better know them.

the fact that i think it is all utter bvllsh!t doesn't even enter into it.
    hahahaha
  • doesn't Canon law actually state that Catholics should not eat meat on any Friday
  • what did you find googling?
  • I'll take my chances with hell, but in the meantime, I'm gonna eat well. Oh, and thanks for the idea btw. I think next week will be Dwell in the shell lobsters. :woohoo: :evil: ;)
  • This is what the new Code of Canon Law brought out in 1983 says about the matter:

Canon 1250: All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Canon 1251: Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Canon 1252: All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays!
  • after looking at the chick in pink at Wal Mart, I'm thinking I'm going vegan :P
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Michael, just tell your wife that you want to be ready for the next "Dec'07" style ice storm..that ought to get you cleared not only for the mini but also about 16ea more bags of lump!

GO POKES!!!!!
  • WokOnMedium
    The worst part is I think that shirt is supposed to be a whole shirt. She just hiked it up to show of her new ink! :woohoo:

BTW going to Photobucket to upload those photos earned me a virus. I'm getting my payment for being mean! :blush:
  • Vance, if I get anymore I'll be sleeping in the garage with it....as you can see, I'm saving the WG lump ;)
  • is there another way to upload pics without using Photobucket?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Aaron, that is awesome. No Egg yet but you are stocked up with tons of lump. I love it. Now you need to get a couple pork butts for the freezer, a couple whole chickens, and some sausage for fatties.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Too funny Mike.
  • Carolina Q
    Sure. I use Flickr. There are several others.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut