Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cleavers

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    i pretty much only use the cleaver for breaking open large lobster claws, for safety reasons i hit it with the back side of the cleaver. if you want thin slices, a thin global deba single bevel is the way to go, you can get a hundred slices out of a med onion. your right though, an asian cleaver is a very thin bladed knife, no weight to it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i use the back of the cleaver to crack coconuts.
    i thought the asian cleavers were single-bevel, too.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As I read up on this stuff, it appears that there are cleavers (heavy duty and can be used for cutting bones) and "Chinese Chef's Knives" or vegetable knives that are, as you say, not suitable for heavy lifting. Unless you like chipped edges.

As for your last question, no I'm not sure what he had. It looked a lot like the one below, but I didn't get close enough to tell. I didn't see any markings on his. He was cutting paper thin tomato slices though, so I doubt he used that same knife for dismantling a whole chicken. :)

wus4688-2.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• A cleaver is a heavy Western cutting implement useful for things like chopping through bones. A Chinese chef's knife is a much lighter Asian tool useful for just about everything that a French chef's knife can be used for, and lots more. To complicate matters, the same folks who make the Chinese chef's knives also make big heavy crushers that make European cleavers look like children's toys.

I use four knives: a medium weight 7" Chinese chef's knife, a 3-1/3" paring knife, a heavy 8" Chinese chef's knife and a serrated bread knife. I could get along fine with just the first two.
  • yeah
    that is certainly NOT my wusthof cleaver.

mine is about three pounds. i couldn't imagine anyone using it all day...
  • dexter cleaver [veggies, chinese style kitchen knife]
    whustoff cleaver bone and tough stuff
    antique butchers cleaver [hack apart large animals]

shunsteak020.jpg

shunsteak022.jpg

shunsteak025.jpg

shunsteak033.jpg

shunsteak034.jpg

shunsteak036.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions. And thank you, bill, for the heads up about cck and chefsknivestogo. I just ordered a their small slicer...good reviews and cheap. :)

Since I don't remember ever dismantling a chicken, or any other beast for that matter, I wasn't looking for something that would cut thru bone. This should be fine for vegetables and boneless meat. Price was right too. :)

Here's a pic...

SmallSlicer.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• your're welcome.. let me know how you like it. cktg is great to deal with now you need a boardsmith board
  • Carolina Q
    Enabler!! :)

My board isn't as nice as a Boardsmith, but I'm fine with it. $40-50 at TJMaxx. 14x17x2 or so...

1816NPLarge.JPG

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yes i am a bad influence but unconumdrum got me started on this and i need to share the paim ..
    i roast my own beans and have a miss sylvia espresso and rocky grinder ,, if you want me to help you get rid of your diposable income ;)B) :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    I'm not listening! :whistle:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Forgot to pass this along, bill. It's a cck link to all of the their knives. Pics, model numbers and blade dimensions. Some of it's even in English!! No way to order other than thru cktg as far as I know though.

There's a store in San Fran that supposedly sells them, but no web site. Apparently difficult to get their attention.

Greatmin Trading Co.
    780 Broadway St.
    San Francisco, CA 94133

Tel: (415) 392-2788

Anyway, here's the link...

http://www.chanchikee.com/ChineseKnives.html

As an aside, I have no idea why I can't see these last few posts on the forum. The only way I can find them is to search for recent posts by me (or you, I suppose). I've tried all of the preferences on my member page and still can't find the thread. I did subscribe though, so I assume if anyone replies, at least my email will let me know. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut