Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One egg has to go ...

Options

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Cook my breakfast "female dog". I can't get over that Darian. SORRY.

Mike
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I have an XL and will be getting the Small.

I love the XL because when I do a long cook, I load it up to the max.

My Pork Butts freeze well when I vacuum seal them in in small portions for reheating in boiling water. It turns out like fresh pulled

I also like doing my ribs laying flat and 1/2 chickens, I can reall cook a lot and also vacuum seal for later eating.

I also have the second tier rack for the XL

The small will be used for grilling smaller amounts of meat
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Owning one egg puts us above most economies - don't you think?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea...I understand. She pulls that line at least once a year in some form. Got to give her one funny a year. She does drive me home after the After Party.
    I'm sure you will hear it again. LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like my XLs a bunch. Nothing better than two 24" racks of wings cooking away. Try jamming 20 pounds of wings on a large. I'm sure it can be done but it would really cut into beer drinking rotating them around on the large. LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I guess that I don't really count, have only a lge, want a small, but I can't really see a good use for a mini except that it just looks cute. Can you fit 2 ribeyes on a mini?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I do have to agree with that statement...
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Yes,you can fit 2 ribeyes on a mini :woohoo:

DSC_0088-3.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Sorry,wrong pic :blush:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    and the medium to me is just what people buy who can't afford a large at the time of their initial purchase...once you own a large there is NO need for a medium....since you asked..LOL

man, now that explains alot about my egging methods, because I owned a large and medium early on........LOL...

127_2790.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • WessB
    Options
    Not sayin a medium is not a great egg..just sayin...how many times would you go out and fire up the med and leave the large sittin..this also being based on if you had a small to use for "smaller" cooks...if you was cookin a butt or brisket, why would you choose the med over the large?..
  • WessB
    Options
    Maybe you should have addressed your question to just GG instead of "only those that own all 4"..
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    It's quite simple!!!
    I bought a medium because it is easier for me to put in my car by myself and take it out by
    myself when I get to my destination.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tjv
    Options
    didn't fire up the medium much with the large around........sooooooooo sold the medium and bought an XL.........now the large sits.......maybe I'll sell the large and get another welder........LOL
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Personally I can't wrap my mind around owning more than one egg and I cook 3 nights a week. Unless I owned more than one house my next egg will probably be when this one dies...so I'm no help.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Tom, how many welders do you have and what type welder are they? I would imagine that you probably have a TIG and a MIG.
  • WessB
    Options
    The small is MUCH easier to put in a car than a medium...but I really don't think portability was a factor in the intitial question, quite simply....
  • WessB
    Options
    Ahhh young Grashopper.....you will soon learn the lessons of "The Egg"....LOL...more than one is certainly not "needed" but will be very shortly accepted as necessary..
  • B & C
    Options
    I have a LBGE, MBGE, and SBGE, don't have a mini yet. However I don't like the small because I find the lower vent opening to be too small which makes it a pain to clean the ash out compared with the Med or Large. I have thought about cutting out the lower vent opening to make it larger so it would be easier to clean and breathe a little better to able to get temp faster and easier.

The small also has a good point because it weighs less and I can take it with us when we go out of town to visit family and friends or go to the lake for the weekend.

I have a friend down the street that has a mini who says he will let me use it for a few weeks for a test drive. I will know more after the test drive of his mini.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    After talking with my wife, we think the small is the next purchase. I was concerned about the comments that seem to be frequent about reaching temp, I have read so many varied posts on this forum about it. Some say it is lightning quick to temp, others claim it never gets really hot, and it takes too long. Kind of wish I could give one a test drive first. Too bad there aren't any fests near here.
  • WessB
    Options
    EVERY egg is different
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The small will get plenty hot, there is just less margin for error with clear grate and firebox holes.
  • WessB
    Options
    Spose my opinion doesn't matter..
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I needed three large eggs this past weekend. I wanted to do two butts low and slow for an all day cook. Then I needed another one for some spares I wanted to cook, about six hours. Then the wife and grandchildren decided that they wanted pizzas and I would have needed the large for that. It is really all about time and convenience. I have saved so much money on our food bill I have covered the cost of another LBGE in less than 3 months! I took my wife out to Red Lobster (her favorite resturant) for a belated Valentine's dinner Sunday night and it cost me $60+. And she didn't even eat her entree! She is spoiled by the good food coming off the egg. She told me to go buy another LBGE this weekend but I am waiting until we buy another house. I want to make sure I don't have to move to LBGE at the same time. And I am sure that one day (Christmas possibly) I will have a 3rd LBGE!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    why do you just want the most sizes, is it a collection. :laugh: for me two larges and a small works and its rare for me to even use the small. all my accessories are interchangeable in the two larges, way more convieneint than having differenet setup options for three eggs. i keep one large at camp and the other at home and move them from time to time if im going to need the extra space. i use the eggs, im not collecting them :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I wouldn't get the mini unless I were contemplating taking it camping or something where I had to actually carry it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjv
    Options
    I have Miller Tig and Mig machines but been eyeing one of their spectrum 375 extreme plasma cutter. t
  • B & C
    Options
    I have a small stick welder and a couple of mig welders, one of which I just bought for $25 off of craigslist a few weeks ago. It is a Miller 130, 220V. It came with a 10 lb spool of wire, cart, regulator, and extra gun. I couldn't believe that the auto repair business would sell it so cheap. The guy said that it was left by the previous owner and no one there knew how to weld.

I would love to get a TIG with high frequency and foot pedal control. Also looking around for a plasma cutter. This is just a hobby on the side to play around with, kind of like the egg. I admire you for your business and the innovative products you put out.
  • B & C
    Options
    Where do you live, if you live in ATL I could probably work out a test drive on a small or a medium.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    B & C wrote:
    Where do you live, if you live in ATL I could probably work out a test drive on a small or a medium.

Thanks Bill, thats a nice gesture. I live in Salt Lake City, so it might be a bit of a drive for me. The small is on the list for this summer to go in a table with the Large, I am not sure what, or if another egg will happen after that.