Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asked for non BGE Brisket help, maybe I should do it

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friend A is having a BBQ/Pool Party this weekend and asked Friend B for advice on cooking a Brisket. [p]Friend B is well aware of my BGE and the low and slow cooks I've done with Boston Butt. [p]Friend B has suggested that Friend A call me for advice, which she has done. [p]Two part problem: Friend A will not be using a BGE, and I have never cooked a Brisket.[p]I need good advice to give Friend A on cooking a brisket w/o a BGE...or, and I'm leaning this way with each minute I consider it...I suggest to my friend that I cook the brisket at my house on the BGE.[p]Either way I need advice. Can someone tell me the details of Egging a Brisket? Temps, how to estimate cook time, etc.[p]Thanks,[p]Stuart

Comments

• SeanB
    SeanB Posts: 20
    Options
    stuart,[p]I cooked brisket on my gasser a few times before getting the Egg...It can be done. I have a three burner grill so I put the brisket on one side with a pan of water under the grate , one burner lit and a foil packet of wood chips over the lit burner. When it stopped smoking I would add more chips until about 4 hours into the cook, at this point I wrapped the brisket in foil and let it cook for another 4 to 5 hours. I am pretty sure that I rotated the meat a few times also. [p]I never quite perfected this method, and is why I now have an Egg, but a ~$50 water smoker or a kettle grill will probably do the job better than a gas grill. I am not sure I would loan out my Egg to a friend of a friend...unless of course you are going to be a guest at the event and will be forced to eat the less than eggcelent brisket.[p]Sean
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    stuart,
    What kind of cooker does friend A or B have? Anything other then some kind of smoker will produce less then desirable results. Crashing the party with your Egg will produce the best results - even for a first timer.[p]I would suggest about 1.5 hours per pound as a rough guide. Brisket should be fork tender (i.e. a fork should be able to twist in the meat). I think Dr. BBQ, on this forum, suggests fat cap side down. [p]Also, the brisket should be sliced ACROSS the grain. [p]Doug

• Stuart
    Options
    SeanB,[p]Thanks Sean. I guess I was vague about the Egg part. I definately will not be loaning my Egg out. If she agrees, I'll cook it at my house and drive the brisket the 20 miles to her party!

• Stuart
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]I was invited to the party, but now I'm wondering if it was just 'cause of my cooking??? LOL[p]No novice here, just at Brisket. I've cooked on my BGE for 5-6 years now in my back yard and that is just where the Egg will stay. The brisket will be the only thing crashing the party!
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]You're braver than I am...there's no way I'd be doing a first cook of a brisket for a party...I've been trying them for a couple of years and until recently, hadn't been consistently successful. And, I'm still not sure enough of my brisket prowess to do 'em for company....[p]Call me wimpy (or a perfectionist)...your choice, LOL!
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I second QBabe. I've found brisket to be a difficult cook. Three of my five cooks have been less than spectacular. In fact, two have been basically inedible. Even now that I've got two down that were good I'd be hesitant to do a command performance, so to speak.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    stuart,
    If you do not want to do it in the egg, I have an awesome oven reicipe that turns out wonderful every time. If you want it let me know.[p]~nikki

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    QBabe,
    Remember most people have never tasted really good BBQ or smoked food. As long as it is tender, most people think anything off a smoker is awesome. With your aquired tastes and eggsperience, you would expect more.[p]I just did my first cater for 100 people, I thought the food was fair to good. All the guests raved.[p]I'm still trying to get my spices and flavor right for a brisket. You are right though, brisket is tough to cook and get just right.

• Unknown
    Options
    nikkig,I would love to get that oven recipe from you. My Egg briskets have not worked well.

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    QBabe,
    I'd say you're a perfectionist. I bet your "worst" brisket was much better than what most people have eaten.[p]BOB

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    George,
    here ya go....the only thing I do different is after the brisket is done, I make gravy with the drippings and put the slices back in the gravy. We usually serve it with rice the first night. Then make sammiches with the leftovers. The one I made a couple of nights ago wouldn't slice..it just crumbled it was so tender.[p]Oven Brisket[p]2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup water
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder[p]Marinate 3-5 pound brisket overnight. Remove from marinade, place in covered pan and cook at 250 for 6 hours. When cooked, let cool and slice. Before serving, reheat for 30 minutes in the beef stock.[p]~nikki[p]