Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One egg has to go ...

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I have some questions for only those of you that have the Large, Medium, Small and Mini.

- Since you have all four of these eggs, if you had to part with one to save your life, which one would it be?
- Why would you choose to get rid of that size over the others?

I have one of these eggs, and I am getting another two so that I will have three of the four. I have spent the last two weeks reading past forum posts from the last decade it seems, and there are all kinds of opinions. I figured if I asked it this way from the select group that have all four of these sizes, it might help me get the information I am looking for.

Thank you all in advance for the great knowledge here, and I appreciate your feedback.

Comments

• Orygun
    Options
    I will take which ever one you get rid of...that will bring my total up to ONE!! ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have those same 4 and no question about it I'd jettison my Mini.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    jabinns,

Large, large and mini. Large is the most versatile and the mini is just fun! You really only need one of each kind of eggcessory.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP,

Thanks for your reply. Why the mini over the others?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I don't qualify but your question doesn't make a lot of sense either...
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wess, it was as clear as mud. :)

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My large is versatile, my medium is a vegan in that no meat is egged in it as I just use it for baking and my small can handle the things the Mini does. BTW my small is my workhorse egg and gets 60% of my cooks! Also I have a thing called PotLifter so if need be I can transport my small - granted not as easy as the Mini but darn close to it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I don't have the four eggs, but it seems to me your question is a bit like which of these 4 colors is the best.

Depends on which suits your needs the best. Some love their Mini. But if you do mostly lo-n-slo, the mini is probably not going to be your go to egg. If you grill small amounts a lot, it would be ideal (from what I read).

I think you are the best person to answer your question. I'm sure there are devotees for all sizes on this forum.

Good luck picking only 3!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey jabinns,most people here(or anywhere)don't have four eggs,so I think that you're gonna get some biased opinions(just sayin) :whistle: I have four eggs(all different sizes),but I still don't have a large :ohmy:(the most popular one) :blink: What kind of cooking do you do?How many people are you feeding?I'm only feeding three(most of the time)here.If I had to loose an egg here,I'd toss the small :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: I don't use it as much as I did before the mini(but I do still use it) :) I know,,,,I know,,,,,the large/small is the "perfect combo",so I'm sure that I'll be banned for life for stating my opinion :woohoo: :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    The large and small is a perfect combo Doug.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I thought you were banned last month :huh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    That's what I hear Mike :P
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    HAHAHAHA!!!!I found another way in Pat :whistle: :woohoo: SSHHHHHHH!!!!Don't tell anyone ;)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    IMHO- I have 7 eggs but if I could only have 3 it would be a large, small and a mini.
  • BayouMark
    Options
    Hmmmmmm.......sounds vaguely like the Lite Beer Commercial on TV with the English Bull Dog.........and the young lady that was playing Russian Roulette with her guy. If you are for real why would want to part with an egg unless economies demanded it and my guess is that if you owned four eggs you would be above most economies..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Don't foget the "XL"...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    reelgem -

Wow, 7 eggs, you love these things :). So it sounds like you omitted the medium, why would you leave that one out?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Mark, I am for real, just trying to narrow down my decision from the help of those that have experience on all of them. Thanks!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Darian,

I didnt forget the XL, its just not on my radar of choices. Thanks.
  • reelgem
    Options
    For the price difference between a med and a large I'd rather have a large. In addition there are more accessories for a large than a med. A small is a must. It's a searing machine. The mini is also nice to have when it's just my husband and I having dinner or for tailgating, camping etc.
    How many are in your household jabinns??
  • WessB
    Options
    Ya might need a correction..and I agree fully..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I would give up my other 3 Eggs before I gave up my XLs.
    The first Egg I would dump would be my Mini because I have a small. Just purchased a Mini because I found such a good price. The little money savings on lump over the Small is not an issue. The Mini is fun and for a person that camps or travels but I would much rather have a small to go with my Large and XLs.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if you own a large, medium, small and mini, which one of the four is your least favorite.....
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • WessB
    Options
    I don't own a medium..so I didn't qualify to answer..he specified "only those that own all 4"...and the medium to me is just what people buy who can't afford a large at the time of their initial purchase...once you own a large there is NO need for a medium....since you asked..LOL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I got rid of a medium to get a small. HOW ABOUT MY CATS?

Mike
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone so far. Just to add to this, I do have the Large (as everyone should, right?). My internal debate is if I am going to get the med/small, med/mini, or small/mini. I am building a combo table for all three (my large, and the two new ones) this summer. By asking the question the way I did, I was hoping to get responses that were not prompted by my cooking situation, so I could see what egg the four egg people preferred the least, and why. There are countless threads on which egg people like the most, and I have combed those. Anyway, if there are more owners of those four out there (Grandpas Grub, I am talking to you :) ), I am still looking for your opinion to my original questions! Thanks!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Start with a Small as you second Egg and go from there.
    If you don't want the XL at all I would go with 2 Large and a Small if I was to limit myself to 3.
    Nice thing about having two Large Eggs is that all the extras you would want to buy or have already purchased would now fit two of your Eggs.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • reelgem
    Options
    I have to agree with Photoegg. A small would be a great choice for your second egg and then maybe a mini.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I would build an L shaped table and have the mini on the counter.

Mike
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I know you purchased your Mini to travel and tailgate.
    If your main use was just to put it in a table would you really want a Small and Mini as your second and third Egg? I might even go Large and Two Smalls.
    Again, at least all the extras for the Small would swap.
    I have cooked a bunch on my Mini just to use it but I still think the Small cooks more even and it's more forgiving with the extra vertical space between lump and cooking grate.
    Still geting snow at your place?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas