Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introducing a Friend to the BGE

Joe Willie
Joe Willie Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys, I read the forum daily but have never posted before. Anyway, I got a call from a friend out of the blue today. He has apparently heard about the BGE and wanted to know if thats what I cook on. Long story short, he has little to no experience cooking q, but wants to spend the day Saturday cooking to decide if he wants to dive in, and I am happy to help him out.

Im trying to think of what to cook to get him the most exposure, but I want to do relatively simple things since he is new to it.

I was thinking of maybe starting a butt Friday night, and once it comes off on Saturday wrap it and cooler it while we do some ABT's and maybe a small spatchcock chicken. All pretty basic and inexpensive, but something that most people will like.

Im open to suggestion and would appreciate any ideas

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    They all sound good, maybe add a stuffed fatty, pig candy or a few pizzas?
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    I would do the butt, abt's, and then do some trex steaks, to show what it can do..

Honestly, steak was my first cook, and really sold me on it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    that would sell me, use some of the pull in the abt's
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey joe glad to see you posting! welcome to the forum!!!

you could do some twice baked potatoes while you do the abt's

just bake them you could proabably pt them in
    while your butt is finishing they should take awhile. then scoop out the guts, put them in a bowl with some of the pulled pork (not much justy enough to know it is in there, add some butter, sour cream, some green onions and cheese, mix it together and put it back in the potato skins cover with cheese and place on the egg with the abt's.. really super easy and really tastey

DSCN0276.jpg

and hodag cookies are always a winner

th_03-21-20091.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Joe,

While pulled pork is great, you would do all the prep work and cooking the night before. Some ribs, beef roast, pork loin would allow him to participate in the whole deal.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Good idea starting with the Pork Butt

Having it cook all night will give him an idea of the long slow cook

Doing the chicken next at around 350 degrees while the Pork Butt is wrapped and resting and then finish off the demo with a super high heat steak

Serve all at once
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Spatchcock is always great. If he would be around long enough, it seems to me also that doing ribs might be something quick enough that he could get a better feel for lo-n-slo.

The Egg is also a great way to do pork steak steaks quickly. Just a bit of rub and/or marinade on 'em, done hot and direct makes for a nice juicy meal. Maybe add some grilled pineapple.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Welcome, Joe. Are you THE Joe Willie? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    What you have suggested to cook sounds like a great plan with some of the other suggestions that others have made and will show him some of the diversity of cooks the BGE is capable of.

Which Saturday woud you like to do this on and where do you live? We might be able to make this a party. ;)
  • Many non-cooks have had bad experiences with Lamb and consequently avoid it, but if you can do a good chunk of lamb for him just to show how tasty it can be I'd add that to the list of possibilities. Same with Salmon, especially if he has a weight or health issue.

And by all means, do some veggies, perhaps grilled asparagus, romaine or pineapple.

Or just feed him what he eats most.

But then he just might move in with you LOL...

Spring "Treat Friends Well" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I agree w/ azzbguy's suggestions, then I would finish w/ "Kathy's Peach Cobbler" in the back of the BGE Manual. If that variety doesn't convince him he needs to find a different hobby! B) !

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Wow guys! Thanks for all the suggestions! Didn't expect so much so quick. I talked to him tonight and his first question was, "do you know how to do a boston butt with one of those rubs?" :laugh:

I guess that's my cue that a butt will be on the menu. Anyway, I appreciate the input and I'm still considering what else to put on for him. I really appreciate all the suggestions so far.

JW
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I just did that very thing on Saturday...well the Egg was already purchased, but the buyer wasn't conviced. Started out with a temp control lesson (butts would do the trick there), opened it up and baked a loaf of bread, brought it down a little to grill a whole pineapple, then a little more to cook a few chickens, then brought it back up to grill some skewers.

It was a whole day, I was hammered by the end of it, but I think we showed a lot of what the Egg can do. We didn't sear anything as I thought it would be best to break in that gasket a bit.
  • Update on this thread:

My friend had to reschedule. He calls me late last Friday night and wants to Egg on Saturday. Not the ideal situation but we throw together some ribs, chicken and ABT's with a side of twice baked pots and get it done. Not my best cook, and quite frankly I was a little disappointed (must be getting spoiled). He and his wife both said they just loved it.

I get the call on Tuesday that he is officially an egghead with his LBGE being delivered that afternoon! I went over yesterday and walked him through his first cook. He treated the family to ribs, beer but chicken, and some grilled veggies. It was definately a success and he was on cloud nine. So proud he was strutting around like a rooster. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and the help.

The interesting part to me is that I had long forgotten what color the insides of an new egg look like! lol