Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long is to long to thaw? (whole chicken)

Options
MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on cooking a whole chicken from the grocery store on Sunday and took it out of the freezer Saturday afternoon and placed it in the fridge to thaw. Sunday came around and it was still to frozen so I thought I'd wait until Tuesday night to cook it...forgetting I had a class that evening--now I'm thinking I won't get to it until Saturday. Is this to late if it's been in the fridge the whole time? Or should I throw it away or donate it to someone else before it's bad?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    John,

Speaking strictly for me, if it smells ok when you are ready to cook, I would use it. I've gone longer.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Good to know Steve. Thanks!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Just for future reference, you could have cooked it from its frozen state. People have talked about doing whole turkeys so I tried a whole chicken. Came out great!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Susan,

I did the turkey from frozen at christmas. It was good but that Canadian hating, communist inspired guy from DC has a better method IMHO

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I agree with Steven if it was frozen when you bought it, but it was probably purchased fresh.....Make sure there is NO sliminess to the skin at all and use your nose too. If you cook it, make double sure you take it to at least 165 internal deep in the thigh(check in multiple spots). Most other meats, I wouldn't even think twice about using it. Questionable chicken gives me the heebie jeebies. haha I wash my hands like I have an OCD disorder when handling chicken. Oh, wait, I do have an OCD! :woohoo:

Mark
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mark,

I forgot to mention rinsing it really well in cold water. If chicken is off the odour is noticeable.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The nose knows :):sick:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I just have an irrational fear of chicken I think. I'm sure I've thrown chicken out that was probably good. Hell, I'll cook beef and pork that's ready to get up and walk out of the fridge, but chicken better still be cackling. haha
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Well you worry about salmonella as well as the short shelf life. I got salmonella in Mexico and it wasn't fun. Same symptoms just more urgency :sick:
    Don't eat sunny side up eggs there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i dont like to have chicken around for long, if it were me i would toss it in the oven now then make some enchaladas this weekend with it if i wanted something egged.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

Mark, I'm the same way about washing my hands with chickens. They creep me out a little more than other pieces of meat.

Thanks again!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Susan,
    Did you do it in the Egg??? I know about turkeys in the oven and realize it should not make a difference, heat is heat. :laugh: But still wonder???

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Bordello wrote:
    Susan,
    Did you do it in the Egg??? I know about turkeys in the oven and realize it should not make a difference, heat is heat. :laugh: But still wonder???

Regards,
    Bordello
    Yes, did 2 on the egg ( I had a picture & was ready to post and saw the above post, got the heck out of photo bucket) (I guess something will let me know if I got the coodies?) Drip pan some broth,onions in the pan,cook until you can open & get the inside stuff out, put back on, cook till done. I used one in soup & one for enchiladas
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Even though it was a long time ago I was once in the resturant business. We were not allowed to use chicken that was moved from the freezer and into the cooler after 72 hours. And that stuff was vacummed packed! To this day I will not use chicken that is not fresh. And frankly I have been looking at the plastic bagged chickens from Tyson and Kroger brand with suspicion. I bought two Tyson bagged chickens and opened them up when I got home and the neck skin was still attched and it was off color. Right back to the store. I really need to find another butcher.