Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Honey Sauce

Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,711
edited 8:27PM in EggHead Forum
I love the Internet. There’s rarely an occasion that I fail to learn something new while looking up something else. This time I was searching Southern Living for heart-healthy foods and ran across this article by Shannon Sliter Satterwhite, M.S., R.D., titled Nature’s Sugar Substitute. She states:

“Not all sugars are created equal. In fact, honey may be nature’s most perfect. Not only does it sweeten our lives, but unprocessed honey (the kind you find from a beekeeper at your local farmers market) is also packed with powerful cancer-fighting antioxidants that help protect cells.

It can also inhibit respiratory symptoms during pollen season. The secret, however, is to eat honey made by bees in your area – it serves as an anti-allergy serum, helping to suppress the effects of local pollen.”

I already knew that honey was like a magic elixir but I didn’t know the nutritional differences between ‘processed’ and ‘unprocessed’ honey. Unprocessed honey, especially when made by local bees, now has a tremendous appeal to me.

But what I was actually looking for was a healthy sauce that would also be delicious with grilled meats like chicken and pork. The same article had such a recipe:

Beekeeper's Jezebel Sauce

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 4 min.

"This sweet-and-spicy sauce is delicious served with pork tenderloin and grilled chicken or as a dipping sauce for fried shrimp. It also makes a great savory spread for biscuits or roast beef and turkey sandwiches.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Ingredients
1 (15.25-oz.) jar apricot preserves
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth*
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons horseradish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Preparation
Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated and sauce is a pourable consistency. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.

It received a 5-Star rating. (Outstanding)

Other details:

*Vegetable broth may be substituted.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Polaner All Fruit Apricot Spread.

Note: To make a spread, prepare recipe as directed, omitting chicken broth.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 232
Fat: 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g)
Protein: 0.2g
Carbohydrate: 60.4g
Fiber: 0.3g
Cholesterol: 0.0mg
Iron: 0.2mg
Sodium: 165mg
Calcium: 7mg

Rose Marie Crowe, Trussville, Alabama, Southern Living, APRIL 2009"

You're welcome

Spring "Keep On Living" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Thanks Leroy,

Did not know that about the honey and the importance if it being local.

I will also help myself to the farmers market variety.

Keep it up man ;)
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,902
    Nice recipe. Another piece of info the local beekeepers honey will help people who have allergies to certain things in the area where the honey is gathered.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Thanks for the info & recipeLeroy. My wife Ginny does taxes and one of her clients is a beekeeeper. The woman was diagnosed with severe arthritis. She takes 2 tbs of honey a day and no other arthritis medication. She has not had a flare up for over 2 years and she says it is because of the properties in the honey...

Clearly unscientific but true...
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Thank you Leroy. Have a good day sir. :)
  • Learn something every day. Not only does it make the day more interesting, sometimes what you learn can help you live longer, or better, or at least smile more.

Spring "There's Always More To Learn" Chicken
  • Yes, it mentions that in the article.

It actually makes sense when you think about it.

Also, honey is good for home improvement: "Honey-Do's."

Spring "Rolling Honey-Do's Gather No Moss" Chicken
  • Hummmmmmm! I haven't heard that one before so I've started on my treatment as of today.

Thanks for the tip.

Spring "Nothing Like Arthritis To Get Your Attention" Chicken
  • You're welcome.

Now that I've learned something new I plan to enjoy the day.

Spring "Sunshine On My Shoulder And Honey In My Belly" Chicken
  • Nice info - thanks for sharing sweet information honey B)

When I read the subject line, I thought it was going to be a sauce made by Spring Hen :)

I wonder if the honey from killer bees has any additional special qualities. :ermm:
  • Spring HenSpring Hen Posts: 1,494
    Funny, Frank. Anything we try new is called "Judy Surprise" and that scares the bee..jesus out of the Chicken. I'll let him play with that recipe :cheer:
    I'll stick to the "honey do" list.
  • Honey from a 'killer bee' has got to produce a 'killer' recipe. Or I would think so with my limited abilities to calculate the differences.

My only concern is the amount of horseradish. Seems like a lot but what do I know? Gotta try it first.

Spring "Getting Healthier Thinking About It" Chicken
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    Raw unprocessed honey is one of the few sugars I can eat. Love it on most everything protein wise. I find it at our local store.
    E
  • Do you also eat the honeycomb? Is there any nutritional value in the comb?

Spring "Steel Cut Oatmeal & Unprocessed Honey Is In My Future" Chicken
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    I've heard the same thing, Leroy. Ask your beekeeper if he sells bee pollen. It's supposed to be much more adept at helping with allergies. Doesn't taste near as good as honey though. :laugh: If you really have to have the sweet, I would recommend smooching a bit on Spring Hen;I'm bettin' it doesn't get much sweeter than that! :kiss:
  • Ha.... I'm getting my sweet kisses already but I also need something to go on my cerial.

Thanks for the tip about bee pollen. I'm sure the local stuff is better than the imported stuff.

Spring "Sweet Is A Good Thing" Chicken