Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco vs. Sams

Options
2»

Comments

• C-Town
    Options
    I recall Costco getting a very favorable rating in Consumer Reports when they tested various meat retailers!
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I use the reposado for margaritas since that is what Costco sells in the big bottle for $26.99. I like the Cazadores silver as well, but it is hard to find for a reasonable price. I am not a big fan of anejo. I have tried the Cazadores, but it does not have as much of that clean peppery taste that I like.

I have used Sauza Commemorativo in margaritas. It is okay but not my first choice.

I have a big bottle of Patron Plata at home right now that I am working through. Not for margaritas. That is strictly for sipping straight up or with an ice cube or two. I will also sqeeze a lime and throw in a pinch of salt. Mmmmm. Making me thirsty. :whistle:
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    When I used to visit my folks in rural Indiana, we did a lot of shopping at WalMart. Their local store seemed to be pretty nice with a good selection of quality items. However, if you go to more populated areas like here in So. Cal., WalMarts have mostly junk and I prefer to shop at Target.

Seems like WalMart has different stock for different areas based upon population and economics. Maybe Sam's is the same.

I do have to say that the WalMart near me is a good source for RO lump, so I can't complain too much.
  • Desert Filly
    Options
    I like the Costco brand paper towels and they carry Charmin....Sam's doesn't. I guess you know who doesn't buy the meats.....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I like Sams because I can cut most of the products I buy. Breakdown beef ect.

Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Kim, I'm just curious as to why you don't buy meat at Costco's.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We do, that's where I buy my primals, just don't like boneless butts for pulled pork. -RP
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I have a Costco and a Sams within 5 miles of each other. We joined the Costco. Been happy with the pork shoulders & chicken. The steaks are huge and a good bargain but the local Fresh Market sells a far superior product when it comes to steaks albeit you pay mightly for it. Only turn off I had was buying ribs in the Cryovac package. My wife refused to eat them when she smelled that very foul odor from them when you first open them up. Just my 2 cents.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I'm a member of Sam's because Cosco is across town. I like costco better.
  • arguing costco vs. sam's club is like arguing whether it's better to be hit by a car or a bus.
  • asianflava
    Options
    OK I'll try that. Thanks! Like I said, we've only had our Costco membership for a short time.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I vote for Costco, I actually drive past 2 Sams to get to the closest Costco.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    Options
    Here in Las Veggas we have several of both stores. Here is my $0.02:

The prices on identical items are within a penney or two of each other, but the package size is generally smaller at Sams, which is nice if you have a small family or a small pantry, or are basement challenged, like us folks here in Las Veggas.

The overall quality of non food items seems better at Costco.

Costco sometimes has PRIME cuts of meat, but I like the Boston Butts at Sams.. Costco only sells the whole shoulder.

I also like Sams as I can find full packer briskets and Costco usually only has the flats.

Fruit and veggies are crap shoots at both.

The food court is way better at Costco.

The jewelry is better, and more expensive at Costco.

Hope this helps.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    That is absolutely true! I visit a Sam's in Stone Mountain and a Sam's in Snellville. They are both about 10 to 12 miles from my house in Lilburn. The Sam's in Stone Mountain carries a lower end of everything and targets a clientel that is seeking that line. The prices reflect that. I buy butts, spares and whole chickens there. The one in Snellville carries higher end items. Their meat is a higher grade and produce is better. However, their prices are higher as well. I didn't like them because I couldn't get spare ribs there one day when I was in a hurry to get them and their hearts of romaine were whole, not chopped. I use the one in Stone Mountain most. However, after reading this thread I will look for a Costco!
  • DrugCoder
    Options
    Costco FTW! Looks like I will be getting a costco membership when it gets to town. I'm on my father's corporate Sams account so I will keep it as well but judging by the responses it will be worth my $$ to buy the Costco membership.

Thanks everyone!
  • MopCop
    MopCop Posts: 21
    Options
    We have both in the Dallas area. I certainly believe Costco provides more quality end products to choose from than Sam's does. But Sam's seems to be a cheaper overall price.

I am able to get Prime Ribeyes and NY Strips weekly at Costco for $9.99-10.99 lb. Overall their meat market is far superior to Sam's. This may be temporary though, many restaurants are unable to buy all the prime that is available.

I have had both memberships for the past year. Although there are certain items that I still perfer to get at Sam's, I will be dropping Sam's Club memembership this year. Sam's membership is cheaper #35 for Spouse and myself, verses $100 for a Costco Executive Membership. I recently received a 2% check for purchased the last 10 months that is almost equal to our Executive Membership.

Costco used to offer a temporary membership for one day, but a friend just informed me that he tried to get one last weekend at one of the two Costco in this area and was told he could not get one he had to purchase a membership to buy anything.

Costco will mail monthly discount coupons on many of their products and I have found that if I purchase them when they go on sale, I will save 8-12%.

The one drawback I dislike at Costco, they only take American Express and debit cards. I have dropped my American Express cards and prefer to use my Credit Card for points and I can not, but I do receive a 2% cash back at the end of each year.

Every family is different in what they prefer. There are many pros and cons for each. Visit each and make your comparisons go with what works for your family.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Actually, the credit card thing is another advantage for me at Costco. I have the Costco Amex card. It gives a 3% cash rebate on gas and eating out, 2% on travel, and 1% on everything else. This year my rebate check was over $300. Sweet. ;)
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Agreed. If yer gonna do it, do it right. :woohoo:
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    I miss the Costco's in california because of being allowed to buy the hard stuff there. It's so much cheaper than going the grocery store. I moved to Houston, and all they carry is beer and wine.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    The Costco on Richmond has a full liquor store at the side of the main store.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious