Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Sausage at 150°

javabreath
javabreath Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi:
Long time lurker first time posting.
I have a large BGE and DigiQII with spider, pizza stone and adjustable rig. I would like to start smoking sausages. Some receipes call for 5+ hours at 150°. If I use a small amount of lump(6-7 pieces) and wood chips in a pan rather then chunks to reduce flare ups would I be able to maintain 150° for 5 hours.
Thanks for all your past help.
Rick

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Java,

Search the forum and you will find lots of posts about this. I use a small coffee can and used lump & apple chips. I light the lump in one spot and wait about 10 minutes before I put in the platesetter, etc. I use my digi q and can maintain 150-180 for 5-7 hours.

Others use a sodering iron and a can with lump.

BTW if my temps climb up I take the can out and remove a few pieces of lump and the temps go down...do this carefully though...
    :pinch: :blink: :sick::)
  • Yes, you can do it and you can also put in a fairly normal amount of lump. The Guru will do its thing. I do venison bologna that requires 1 hour at 120*, 1 hour at 140*, 1/2 hour at 160*, then 180* until bologna hits 156* internal(done). I normally skip the 120* hour and start at 140* and go 2 hours. Even the Guru has problems keeping the fire going at 120* Just get your fire started in one spot and then IMMEDIATELY let the Guru take over the fire. This is very important. Your daisy must be opened just a crack-slivers and damper down the fan on the Guru to 1/4 open only.

Mark

PS. Welcome to the forum. ;)
  • Excellent information, Kim and Rick. I'm just about to start on my first low-temperture smokes of cured meats, and this is invaluable. Much appreciated.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Can you set the pit temp that low on a DQ II? I have the older competitor and have to put it in ramp mode and tell it to hold the meat at whatever temp I want the pit to be. -RP
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    As Vidalia1 said, this is the way to go. All credit to the BGE genius on the forum who figured this out the first time. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Using this method you can keep the smoke under 100F if, for example, you're trying to smoke cheese.

I kept the smoke under 100F for 3.5 hours to smoke it well. Brined meat, so I wasn't worried about spoilage. After four hours over smoke I added lump without the can and finished to an internal temp of 140.

Here are pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/rvana213/Smokin

If I was trying to keep a temp of 150, I'd just use two cans. wink.png

Bob V
  • Oops, meant to address this in my first reply. Flare ups are a non-issue. There's not enough oxygen in the egg to allow for ignition. Once the lump uses its share, there's not much left for the wood chunks or chips. I always use chunks; they last longer and I don't want to keep opening the dome to replace chips while I'm smoking.

Mark
  • you won't have any flare ups. just doesn't happen in an egg, since there's no extra oxygen. the fire only draws in what it needs, and is limited by the vent openings.

one thing you want to make sure you do with smoking sausages at lower temps is to include some curing salts in the sausage. you want to eliminate the risk of bacterial growth, botulism especially (low or no oxygen environment and optimal temps).
    if you haven't cured the sausage, might do those as a hot-smoke, getting them to 140+ internally within a couple hours