Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to keep DFMT from falling off?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a post the other night where this was mentioned as an aside to the topic at hand. I noticed mine is in the habit of falling off now on a regular basis. I don't think it did when I first got my egg. Any suggestions? I keep the screw at the 12 o'clock position. Thanks.

Oh, one other thing. My BGE therm seems to get in the habit of spinning around inside the hole. Any ideas on how to make it fit tighter so it doesn't spin? Again, thanks.

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    There is a great post about the position of the screw and how to open the lid without messing the setting or it falling off. I'm sure someone will remember that post and send it. Works for me everytime
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I will search again and see if I can find it. I actually get the feeling that my DFMT has expanded. I may put a piece of nomex around the top and see if that helps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Talk with your dealer and if no solution call BGE service. The DFMT should not be falling off the dome, could be there is a problem with the dome itself.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hungry....A bit of gasket material adhered to the top chimney of the egg will stop it. Also, try putting your screw at 6:00 (aligned with your handle). This way there won't be so much weight on the back of the DFMT when you open the dome. (this should help remedy what I suspect is a need for you to re-set the DFMT every time you open and close the egg)

With the thermo, is the clip secure in the back? Until the hole (that holds the thermometer) gets good and gunked up, you might want to make sure you keep the clip secure.

Happy Eggin!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Thanks! I have been putting it on exactly backwards!
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    mothership told me to just wrap with a piece of gasket material.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I'm just going my memory here, but I found mine never falls off if I rotate Miss Daisy so that the screw/hinge part that opens the top wheel sits at 6 o'clock.

Simple physics at work there. Try it and see!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Is the issue that the daisy comes off the egg, or that the setting is displaced from the top rotating? It is two totally different things.
  • I have also used alum. foil as a gasket which helped. But the biggest thing is when I placed the screw in the 6:00 position, that alone took care of the problem.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    I removed my spring clip from the back of the dome thermometer for two reasons:
    1) I don't have to worry about accidentally turning the calibration nut on the back if the thermometer is turned for any reason.
    2) In the diffused lighting that I enjoy around the egg, Christmas type lights (mostly green!) strung up, by being able to easily turn the thermometer dial, I can more easily read it.
    Rick

PS For your falling daisy wheel: check to make sure the egg is dead level.
    I also used some spare gasket material for a tighter seal.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    To maintain the setting on your DMFT and keep the Daisy wheel from moving when you open the Egg and maybe causing the whole thing to fall off is pretty easy.

Step one. Get your temp stabilized.

Step two. Rotate the entire DMFT so that you have a line from the hinge screw through the center of the wheel that is parallel to the line from the Egg handle to hinge. This way, when you open the egg the daisy portion is moving in the same plane as the eggs lid and will maintain its position. If you adjust the wheel setting you must also turn the entire cap to maintain the parallel configuration. It is really very easy and a good habit to get into. Six o'clock setting may keep it from falling off, but will not hold your setting. Hope this helps :) .

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    The DFMT actually falls off when I open the lid. Ever since I had a flame out and caught myself on fire I have been very careful when I lift the lid. Sometimes it stays on and sometimes it falls off. It doesn't seem to fit as tight as it did when it was new.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am a big fan of the BGE and the BGE company. Rarely does a product live up to it's claim as well as the BGE.
    The folks at the Mothership are great people and provide great customer service. However, I feel telling someone to put gasket material on their Daisy wheel to keep it from coming off is a copout. Fact is there are multiple manufacturers making the DFMT's and one of them was and maybe still is making them too big. No consumer product should have a component fall off onto the ground from normal use. Luckily mine all fit just fine, but I have used others that are too big.