Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Recipe

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a few people ask for the recipe I used to cook meatloaf at the Texas Eggfest this past weekend. I got this recipe from Mike Harmon on the Outdoor Home website. I have made just a couple modifications, but pretty much stuck with his original recipe since it's so good. Also, I usually make a double batch and divide it into 3 loaves. I freeze the 2 extra to cook some other time.[p]2 lbs ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 TBS canola oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
2 TBS Worchestershire
3 cloves minced garlic
1 egg
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Tabasco
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup beef stock[p]Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and bell pepper and saute. As it's sauteing, add the pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Put the veggies into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands. Then mound the mixture to form your meatloaf. When doing a double batch, this makes 3 good sized meatloafs. I then sprinkle a liberal amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning on all sides of the meatloaf. I'm sure other rubs would work just as well.[p]I have one of those wire mesh meatloaf pans, which is great beacuse smoke gets in from all sides. Use one of those or something that will allow smoke to hit the meat top to bottom.[p]Cook indirect at about 330 degree dome temp. You will need a drip pan. I have used Jack Daniels wood chips and that is awesome smoke for a meatloaf. I have used hickory vs. the J.D. with good results also. Cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees. It takes about an hour and a half. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve. [p]Try it! I think you will like it.[p]Bob

Comments