Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do u have to inject butt???

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do yall prepare your butts before cooking? I want my first to be a hit with the family. Thankyou in advance...

Comments

• No, you don't. I have made plenty of butts without injecting. Before I tried injecting, I would dry rub them and let them sit overnight.
  • I always just rub with Bad Byron's Butt rub but if I am out or it's not available I use any other sweet rub I can find. You can do a google search and find some recipes there. I like a sweet rub with a spicy kick. Don't bother injecting it unless you really want too. It will all cook out any way. If your but is cut off the bone put your spice inside the cut as well then roll it back up before you put it on to cook. Good luck. I am sure you will be fine, just don't rush it.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    No, you don't HAVE to inject butt. A lot of people do.

I've never done it and have never had any complaints.

Put on a ton of rub, let the bark build, and you'll be fine.
  • Your handle made me realize I need to exercise the old Remington 870. lol
  • Bring it out! I shoot as much as I can while I am home, if you are around Houston sometimes let's get together.
  • Well, I don't get to Texas as much as I'd like to any more. I'm stuck on the West Coast for the foreseeable future. I may go to the range tomorrow, but the person I'd go with isn't interested in shooting clays, only paper. :-(
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    When I judged KCBS contests I got to taste a lot of injected butts and didn't care for them. Pork has such a great flavor why would you want to make it taste like a pineapple? -RP
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Speaking of Butts.....Since many of us consider "bark" to be the premium bites on the plate, I wonder how it would work to cut one into smaller chunks, creating more surface area(more bark per Butt)...
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I cook hundreds of butts and I don't inject. And unlike almost everyone here I don't use rubs on them during the cook. I do use seasonings and rubs on them after I pull them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i sometimes inject a vinegar style sauce the last couple hours of the cook. definatly didnt like injecting before the cook, and im last minute applying rubs before it goes on the egg, not ahead of time. and ill add just a little rub later in the cook, alot of the flavor of the rub disipates during the long cook. i change things up every once in a while, sometimes just rub, sometimes rub then mustard, then more rub, it all works
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I slather with mustard before I put the rub on. Only about an hour before putting it on the egg. I think the salt draws out the moisture