Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ chicken pieces, How long and what temp? help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi evryone,
We have cook spatch chicken on our egg so many times and now we want to try some good ol BBQ chicken we have cut up can someone please advise to as how long and what temp to cook these pieces of bird and do we mop them in bbq sauce before or at the end, I thought about just from the begenning keep basting them and also should we cook thenm indirect or direct Thanks to all responds
David

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    David K,
    For a good ole' fashion BBQ chicken, the method we use is VERY close to spatchcock chicken. We prepare the chicken in the same fashion as spatch with the added step of also cutting the chicken in half down the middle of the breast bone. This will leave you with 2 halves. Season as you would any other spatch (olive oil and dry rub then put in fridge 4-24 hrs). [p]Prepare the egg at 350 and cook on a raised grid with hickory or oak chunks. Mop every 8-10 minutes starting at 40-45 minutes with a high sugar content mop sauce. The sugars will carmelize and will make for a very nice sticky sweet BBQ Chicken. [p]When you pull the halves from the grill, you can then complete the separation of the parts... first separate into white & dark parts (cut between the breast & thigh). Now separate the wing from the breast and then separate the leg from the thigh.[p]You may want to reserve and heat some of the BBQ sauce as a side dish for additional dipping at the table.[p]We will typically do this as an outdoor picnic style meal and serve with corn on the cob, cole slaw, baked beans & summer fruit salad.[p]I hope this is what you were looking for. Keep in mind, this is only one opinion and how I prepare it. There are several methods and all have their advantages. I'm sure others will offer help with their method.[p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    Thanks I got the egg warming up now, good to hear from you again we will meet sometime or another :)
    I am still going to schedule a trip with my ol teacher (Your dad) soon.
    I have been hitting the Lowes stores and buying all there Cowboy Lump, getting hard to find around here in Spring Hill.
    David

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    David K,
    For lump, try the Pinch Penny on 19 across from the Crystal River Mall. They have BGE lump.[p]Good talking to you again. Yes, perhaps one day we can get together.[p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    Thanks for the Lump location .I am painting a house up in SugarMill woods and Homosassa springs, I will stop by the Pinch a Penny this week.
    David