Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining vs. Not Brining

Options
Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday I did a post about cooking a fish called Cobia. Yesterday I smoked about a pound with maple and pecan @ 200-275 dome temp til it was 150 degrees internally. It was great. Flakey, white and moist. Folks at a party said it was the best smoked fish they'd ever tasted. The only seasoning was terryaki, kosher salt and ground black pepper.[p]I have more and I'm wondering if I should try to brine, when it was so good to start with. I don't want to mess up a good thing, but I dont want to miss an opportunity with this fish that is a rareity(SP) to me. The flesh is very firm, if that matters.

Comments

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Borders,[p]My preference is with the brine. It draws flavor in to the meat. Just remember to allow the fish to dry after brining and before smoking, or else you will end up with a mushy piece of fish.[p]RayS[p]
  • Borders
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    If I am going to cold smoke salmon we always brine of course. When I do a hot smoke (225-250) we never brine. Ryan won the anything but competition in Seattle using salmon doing this method and it works for us. Garlic salt, lemon slices, some fresh baby dill and a few pats of butter under and over the fish. We usually put it on aluminum foil to make removal easy. We use alder for wood because we have it, but apple or cherry are nice also.
  • Borders
    Options
    duck, cool. Thanks