Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! about that wonderful Vidalia Pie Recipe...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
though Pat and I have been married nearly 38 years neither of us were raised in homes accustomed to baking - in fact the last 2# bag of flour in our pantry lasted us 7 years...and that "useage" probably came from a transfer accident!
We would like to make the Vidalia Onion pies for an upcoming event, but would like to just buy premium premade pie crusts instead of making them fom "scratch". When you folks tell us you pour the ingredients in an unbaked pie crust should we assume a store-bought one will work? but are those shells frozen when purchased and "naked"??? - or do we need to put that frozen shell in a pie-plate-thingee? Glass? metal? or what? Same way when cooking in the BGE..that pastry shell in a pie plate thingee or what???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    RRP,
    Well, there are 2 kinds of pie crust you can buy. Premade ones in foil tins, and the Pillsbury folded ones in boxes that you have to put in your own tin. [p]The Pillsbury ones are more work because you have to let them warm up for 15-20 minutes so you can unfold them. They often crack along the folds and you have to sort of push them together and press them back together to fix the crack. Personally, I like the Pillsbury crust better, however.[p]The ones in tins are ready to go. Two to a pack, usually and frozen. I would let them thaw before cooking, but I suppose frozen might work also. For the Vidalia onion pie, you need to be sure to get deep dish if you want to have one recipe fit into one crust. [p]When cooking in the egg, you might want to practice with your setup before doing it for guests. I found with my setup, 375 was too hot and I had to take measures to keep the crust from burning. YB places the foil tins with crust in the ceramic deep dish pie dishes that BGE sells. I did mine on a pizza stone.[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I'd only add to TNW's post that I've personally tried Marie Callender's brand frozen pie crust (available at my local grocery) and found them to be very much like homemade. They're what I've used making the tomato pies and what I plan on using when I finally get around to making the Vidalia pie.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    RRP,
    Ron use the frozen pie shells TNW says and you will be happy with the results. I did one a few weeks ago using one and it was fine. :)
    I plan on upgrading to handmade crusts later,but just not right now ;).
    later,
    ChefRD.
    (ron)

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    100_0045.JPG
    <p />RRP,
    To echo other comments on the pies... I have made ONE pie so far and it was PERFECT (with the help of the great BGE forums members). I used the Pillsbury pre-made crust in a non-stick pie tin. I thought the aluminum foil pans might not heat as evenly...but see that others have had success. Had no problem with the Pillsbury crust cracking, let it thaw for 20-30 minutes you should be fine.
    Taking TNW's advice I lowered the temp, I mine stayed at 340*. My set up was grid on inverted plate setter.
    Good luck and enjoy![p]

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    RRP,
    Sorry about the HUGE image... I swear I published that at 650 pixels on one of my websites. Just upgraded to FrontPage2003 (if you can call that an upgrade)

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    We did the Vidalia pie last night, using a frozen store-brand (Publix) crust. We just put the filling in the frozen shell, and for convenient handling put the aluminum pan on a pizza tray. Only one problem: the recipe makes more filling than fits easily in a 9-inch shell.[p]Well, there was a second problem: the pie overshadowed the steaks.[p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    YB has told us to use deep dish pie crusts for the recipe. Makes sense. You get more that way![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    So............ who told you I paid attention? (Much less follow the recipe?) LOL[p]Ken

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    RRP,[p]I have been reading (and salivating) about "Vadalia Onion Pie" for several days now, hoping that someone would post the recipe. Can someone please re-post the recipe and take me out of my misery? Thanks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    PRobinson,
    here ya go...just click on the line below

[ul][li]V onion pie recipe[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    RRP,[p]Thanks. I did realize that it was in the BGE recipe book, which I have in a binder. You saved me the trouble.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you cook the onions down to being fully carmelized they fit in just fine...[p]Low and slow for a long time till brown...[p]