Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parchment or cornmeal or both for my pizza???

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
makin pizza for the first time on the egg tonite.
should i use parchment paper along with cornmeal??
thanks

Comments

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Not necessary to use cornmeal with parchment paper, but it does add a nice texture to the bottom of the pizza. It's up to you!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    How are you getting the dough to the stone
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    How are you getting the dough to the stone? Peel, pizza pan?
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    I like both for reasons previously stated. I like the texture and taste of the cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    i have a peel i was going to make the pizza on the peel on on parchment and slide it on to the stone. is there a better way?
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    I definitely would use parchment paper, and pull it out from under your pizza when it's been on the stone a couple of minute, this help the crust.

I don't use cornmeal with parchment.
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I like to use semolina flour which is a courser flour. Costs a little more than normal flour, but I do not use much with each cook. Three pies flew off the peel last night. Parchment works as well, but I prefer not to use it.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I use parchment and leave it under the pizza. Never have had a bad crust since starting this. Makes it easy to slide the peel under the pizza too.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Been cooking pizzas for 4 years now... cut two pieces of parchment paper that fit my peel, build the pizza on the paper, and put on stone for the whole time the pie cooks. While that one is cooking, we build the next one on the other piece of paper, and put it on after the first is finished. The paper from under the first is then used for the next pizza we build - so forth and so on it goes.
    We've done 10 pizzas in one night with just two pieces of parchment paper. Never had a pie stick or fail to slide off the peel.
    Kent Madison MS
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I'm in the corn meal & parchment paper school.
    The one thing I noticed is that as you work the dough it tends to push some of the corn meal out past the edge of the dough. I just lift the dough and let the corn meal slide back under the dough.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Used to use a peel and corn meal, but was never crazy about the corn meal on the crust. Tried parchment once and the crust was soggy. Probably should have pulled the paper after a couple of minutes, but sometimes my pizzas only TAKE a couple of minutes.

Lately, I've been using a little AP flour on the peel. After I add each ingredient, I shake the peel a bit to make sure the dough isn't stuck. Haven't tried this with a "loaded" pizza though, just sauce, cheeses and basil.

Seems that, with pizza, there are as many methods as there are cooks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    So there you have it. Yes,No and both. Parchment makes for an easy delivery from the peel to the stone and can be removed after a few minutes to get the full effect of the stone if that is what one desires. Leaving the paper under the pie works as well. Corn meal will add a different texture than not using it if that is what you want. Many ways to go. Experiment and find what you like. As many pizzas as we eat, it wont take long to decide what works best for you. Enjoy the testing and best of luck. It will be good regardless and a lot better than delivery. :)