Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

guru advice

Options
otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE for a while now and just got my guru, Digi Q DX. Today is my first cook with it and instead of a dry run, which would have been smarter, I jumped in with a butt cook.
I set it at 235 and it held fine for 45 minutes. On with the meat and still ok. I checked back after 45 minutes and I was up to 260.

I had the damper set at 1/3 closed so I moved it to 1/2 closed (recommended by guru site) It dropped to 200 the fan kicked in and now it is up to 300.

I've fiddled some with the daisy wheel but I don't really think that is the issue.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or is this simply the learning process for the controller?

Thanks

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I have the old model of the Guru (non-digital). I attach the "grid clip" to the thermometer stem instead of the grid so I know just what the Guru is sensing because as we know the grid temp is different than the dome temp which your thermometer is measuring.

Is you dome thermometer calibrated?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I agree - also once I set my daisey and lower vent damper door on the Guru I NEVER mess with them again. The Guru will take care of the needed air flow. One last thing the Guru will keep it on course with the temp setting but if you let it get away the Guru can only shut itself down and wait for it to fall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    thanks for the input. i'm in the wait to fall mode now.