Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs Extra Large BGE?

Options
Eggcellent
Eggcellent Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decided between the Large and Extra Large BGE. I like the larger grilling surface of the XL but have heard of problems with the lid not aligning correctly causing the gaskets to burn up quickly and not achieving a good seal.

I have also heard that the lid clearance is not as much as the large and it is not possible to cook a large Turkey on the XL.

Please let me know pros and cons of both the Large and Extra Large.

Comments

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I like my large and to accessories are more available for the large.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The dome geometry is flatter on the XL, but you can do large turkeys on the XL. I did a 20 pounder in a turkey pan (no lid) w/o a problem. Without the pan, I'm sure you could do two smaller (15 lb?) side by side.

As far as the gasket, I think they all burn up if you do real high temp burns. I replaced mine with the Rutland gasket after it burned up, and replaced it on my second egg the day I brought it home.

If you want lots of grid space for grilling, you would like the XL. It is a hoss, though. If you are mostly smoking, the L would be enough. I do like the XL even for smoking, as I can do 4 butts (at least) on one grid, and 3 or 4 racks of baby backs flat on the grid.

If don't mind the size of the XL, it works well. But it is big. I bought a medium that is a good complement to the XL. I use them both a lot.

Most on the forum advise getting the L for the first egg.

Good luck on your decision.

Richard
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I dont have an XL, so I can only speak for the large. I regularly cook for 2-4, and somewhat regularly for 8- 10, no problems with the space. When I got my first egg, I was also apprenhensive about the size, however there is plenty of space and it works well for us.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    you really need to tell us how many people you normally cook for etc - as well as the types of foods you cook when cooking for large groups. True the XL has more sq inches, but with several methods available you can fit extra grills on to a large greatly increasing the space. Also as for egging a large turkey - I personally have done a 24.5 one T-Day and a 25 pounder another time. You could even remove the fire ring and with a little effort you could shoe horn in a much bigger bird yet.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Eggcellent,

The XL has been redesigned. It now has the same dome geometry as the large. I would wait if that is in your plans.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• llrickman
    Options
    I have a large and i would agree that if your doing a whole lot of grilling for a large number of people would be the only reason id get the XL.

There are alot of eggcessories available for the Large multiple rack grids, ( adjustable rig ) ,spiders, stones etc... to make your cooking area larger if needed

I have the spider ,Adjustable rig , and 13" pizza stone and a drip pan for my LBGE

One thing for sure it doesnt matter which one you get your gonna love it and wont regret the purchase either way

Now pull the trigger and get yourself a BGE :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Bash
    Options
    Have you heard anything about when those will make it out to dealers? I've not seen one at either of my local dealers.

I wonder how much more that bad boy will weigh?
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    You will find a lot of people here will say Large. I have the XL and I am glad I went with it. I like having the extra space and yes there are accessories for the XL as well and you can rig another grid with (4) bolts so you will have another grid to cook on. There is a re-design of the XL coming out later in the year. It will have to Dome top like the Large. I don't know if you want to wait that long, and I can't blame you either. You won't go wrong with a Large or an XL.

Let the fun begin.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    How many are you cooking for? I vote on the large always. The XL is a viking,I think only neccesary for catering peeps. My opinion.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Like Molly said. Large. Do it now and don't look back. You'll love it. Go 08:00 monday morning and get it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bash,

They will sell off the existing inventory first. I need another egg like a hole in the head but I NEEEEEEED this one :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    The forum votes will be overwhelmingly for the large, well usually anyway. All with good reasoning and thoughts. My 'old' style XL is just fine with me. Haven't found anything yet that I couldn't cook on the XL.

If you get the XL just don't tell. ;) :laugh: :laugh: Mike
  • field hand
    Options
    I have an XL and love it. We chose it since the gasser we were replacing had more square inches than the large BGE, and we didn't want to get a smaller grill. What size grill are you used to using? The XL has lots of capacity that you think you won't need but find later it's really handy. We find the space great for groups of 4-6, or more, we can do the steaks, or what ever, and still fit the baked potatoes and corn on the cob, etc, on the grid. Biggest turkey we've done was 22 lbs. I'm sure the large would handle a bird that size as well. As stated in the earlier posts, you'll love the BGE, what ever size you get.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • asianflava
    Options
    I have both a L and XL and I like them for different things. I've not really seen the problems that you mention.

The XL is an excellent smoker, I've smoked 2 briskets back to back on one load, that's over 24hrs. There is lots of room to lay out multiple briskets or ribs without having to go vertical. I've done single turkeys in the XL, I use a turkey cannon so that puts it up even higher.

The L is really good at grilling, it gets nice and hot relatively quickly. I's also a good smoker, but I've only smoked in it a couple of times.
  • Eggcellent
    Options
    Any idea when this new XL design will be out?
  • Eggcellent
    Options
    Thanks to all for the great advice. I'll let y'all know my final decision and look forward to more education from this site. I have a lot to learn.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't know. When the existing inventory is gone.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    Options
    Yeah, me too. ;)

I made the mistake of buying a used egg, and the base is now cracked (down the left side, under the bottom, and up the right side a bit).

Firebox and firering are also cracked, so I may just buy a new XL from BGE.

I will never buy a used egg again. The warranty is just too important.
  • Bash
    Options
    Or peeps with large (and growing) families that like to grill a lot and do sides as well. B)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bash,

I had a large that the base cracked. Got a new base under warranty but haven't even switched it out yet ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dtcexec
    Options
    got a egg xl for christmas and it is great! i cook for me and the wife and save lump by using the lump reducing ring from cg store. can't imagine that it makes a difference how big the egg is, so my opinion was the more room the better....the gasket did burn off on the second cook, but i have been smoking without it since.....
  • asianflava
    Options
    If you look at the page for the XL flip ring at www.ceramicgrillstore.com you can see the difference between the new XL and the old XL.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    Bash wrote:
    Yeah, me too. ;)

I made the mistake of buying a used egg, and the base is now cracked (down the left side, under the bottom, and up the right side a bit).

Firebox and firering are also cracked, so I may just buy a new XL from BGE.

I will never buy a used egg again. The warranty is just too important.

i bought a used egg as well and it was the best purchase I've ever made. The lady I bought it off gave me ALL off her eggcessories, the nest, cover, etc. I figured if the bottom fell off today, I'd still be ahead of the game. The warranty is important, but the stuff that CAN go wrong isnt that pricey. I dont know how you cracked the base, was it cracked when you bought it? My firebox has a crack in it now from doing a burnout clean, but i'm not worried about it.

to the OP: I have a large, and love it. I mostly cook for my wife, myself and our daughter, but we often entertain guests. I have catered parties before with just the large, it just requires a little planning.

I have done:
    20lb turkeys, in pan (we cook a 15lb turkey at least once a month, its cheap, healthy and makes great leftovers and soup)
    40 lbs of baby backs(2 batches of 20 lbs) in one day for a sweet 16
    4 boston butts, then 7 racks of st louis cut for my daughters christening.
    grilled 12lbs of halibut

plus the countless every day cooks.

Since i bought the used egg, i bought a trutel thermometer, platesetter, pizza stone, grid extender (not a big fan, built my own which was better), spring loaded bands & screen lower vent (unit was an older model with lever bands and no screen), egg mate tables, cast iron grid
  • Fellow Traveler
    Options
    I have been looking to get an XL egg as well. I just had a conversation with a dealer in Fort Worth yesterday. His distributor said any new XL eggs ordered will have the high dome in place. His store will start getting them soon. He even had a picture of it on his cell phone. Could not tell much other than it looked like a steeper top than the old XL design and that it went up as far as the Large. I am waiting until I can actually put my hands on one as it is a pretty big investment for me.