Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza question.

Options
Texhead
Texhead Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be attempting my first pizzas tonight on the new BGE stone. Quick question. the instructions that came with the stone recommends pre-cooking the crust 5-7 minutes before adding the toppings. I have not seen that recommendation on the recipes on this site.

What do you all think about the necessity of the pre-cook.

Thanks,
Texhead

Comments

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I never precook, but I'm doing thin NY style mostly.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i never ever ever precook. I do a classic, handtossed pizza, and it doesnt need precooking if you use the pizza stone. what i *do* recommend is making sure you pre-heat the stone in the egg, i usuually preheat abotu 20-30 mins.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I cooked my first pizzas last night...I preheated the stone to 550 and put the pizzas on. My neighbor, who was in the pizza business, said the crust should be pre-cooked 3-5 minutes to allow the top of the crust to cook before adding the toppings. Sounds like a personal preference thing to me. I will make this suggestion, use lots of corn meal on the stone. I didn't on my first one and, although good, looked like a Stromboli with mumps!
  • Texhead
    Options
    I will be cooking 2 pizzas. I may try a pre-cook and no pre-cook to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the input.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    I never pre-cook either. I heat the egg to 550* and pre-heat the stone for 20-30 mins. I cook mostly NY style and havent needed to pre-cook.
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I do precook. At 550 I precook for 2 min. with parchment paper. I take it off and flip it over add topping and finish cooking no parchment paper or cornmeal on stone. Works great tried many methods this works best for me. I like being able to cook on the stone directly and not use corn meal. JMO
  • gsgentry
    gsgentry Posts: 128
    Options
    The only reason why I can see that you would want to precook is due to your crust taking much longer to cook than your toppings. In this case, if you were to put the toppings on at the same time, they would be burnt by the time crust was done. Cook it hot and fast I say!! :laugh:
  • greenfan
    Options
    I used to pre-cook my crust when I used the oven, but the ones I have done on the egg I have not pre-cooked and they have came out fabulously.